Removing bench seats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jfrost11

Reaction score
I have an older 14’ harbour craft. It has 4 benches in it. I want to remove the rear bench to mount a seat on a pedestal lower in the boat. Any suggestions as too keeping strength? Also may want to remove the 2nd bench from the front as well for the same reason. Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks

I removed all of my bench seats to put in a floor, 1980 14' Mirrocraft.

The hull is a lot more stable than I initially thought it would be and its really not noticeable even in rough water at speed.

Hopping breakers going out of an inlet would probably cause an issue, but for flat water it seems fine.

RaisedByWolves said:
I removed all of my bench seats to put in a floor, 1980 14' Mirrocraft.

The hull is a lot more stable than I initially thought it would be and its really not noticeable even in rough water at speed.

Hopping breakers going out of an inlet would probably cause an issue, but for flat water it seems fine.

I have a similar year mirro craft, 14' deep V. I'd like to remove the rear bench seat, build a small floor, and mount a pedestal. How difficult is it to remove the bench seats? Is it possible to move the rear bench forward?

It’s not hard to remove the seat, relocating it might be a chore.

I just center punched the rivets holding the seats in and drilled them out.

I relocated the middle seat in my 12’ years back about a foot forward of where it was originally, but due to the shape of the hull it wound up 6” above the stock location.

No big deal as I weigh 2x+ what my wife Weighs but something to consider. Measure carefully.

RaisedByWolves said:
It’s not hard to remove the seat, relocating it might be a chore.

I just center punched the rivets holding the seats in and drilled them out.

I relocated the middle seat in my 12’ years back about a foot forward of where it was originally, but due to the shape of the hull it wound up 6” above the stock location.

No big deal as I weigh 2x+ what my wife Weighs but something to consider. Measure carefully.

The more I think about it, that seems like quite the PITA to move the bench seat v. Removing it. Thanka for your input 👍

Bench Seat Removal - If I may opine, what one needs to be aware of is the longitudinal rigidity that is lost by seat removal, whether it is 1 or all. I personally believe you need to replace it with some sort of 'structural integrity' tying the stern to the bow, maybe even cross-thwart too. See below, a gross example - yes, but one just to illustrate the point. If there were NO seats or longitudinal axis support, when you hit a wave hard ... that hull could fold up like a piece of tin foil.
Hull Structural Integrity.jpg
If I were doing it, on either side of where the seat used to be, I'd add a heavy wall (1/8") aluminum L-channel (or thicker strip) along the gunnel for a good 2-3 feet both fore & aft, if not longer. This could be incorporated as part of rod lockers or other decking frame.

Only in RARE instances, like only on small ponds or lakes without a big HP motor on the back, would I ever envision stepping aboard such a small tin that otherwise didn't have such longitudinal support added back in.

DaleH said:
Bench Seat Removal - If I may opine, what one needs to be aware of is the longitudinal rigidity that is lost by seat removal, whether it is 1 or all. I personally believe you need to replace it with some sort of 'structural integrity' tying the stern to the bow, maybe even cross-thwart too. See below, a gross example - yes, but one just to illustrate the point. If there were NO seats or longitudinal axis support, when you hit a wave hard ... that hull could fold up like a piece of tin foil.
Hull Structural Integrity.jpg
If I were doing it, on either side of where the seat used to be, I'd add a heavy wall (1/8") aluminum L-channel (or thicker strip) along the gunnel for a good 2-3 feet both fore & aft, if not longer. This could be incorporated as part of rod lockers or other decking frame.

Only in RARE instances, like only on small ponds or lakes without a big HP motor on the back, would I ever envision stepping aboard such a small tin that otherwise didn't have such longitudinal support added back in.

What you are proposing will add stress risers at the exact place your trying to prevent issues.

That will lead to cracks for sure.

Our boat fully loaded in 1’ chop doesn’t really deflect anymore than it did with the seats in.

While hull design certainly needs to be taken into consideration, your water matters just as much if not more.

Would I take my modified hull out of a rough inlet?

No. But I wouldn’t take a 14’ boat out of an inlet in the first place.

RaisedByWolves said:
What you are proposing will add stress risers at the exact place your trying to prevent issues. That will lead to cracks for sure.
I doubt it #-o , since the manner I suggest mimics what all tin boat builders do when they have boats with side storage units and no cross-thwart/hull seats. But if you believe differently, then I'll just agree to disagree with you ...

What the builders do they have studied and tested.

Not quite the same as Johnny reb hacking away in his car port.

I have worked as a Toolmaker in manufacturing for 33yrs so I know a lil about metallurgy. :wink:

Latest posts