HP scenario in choosing a boat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Just say you found a boat that you really like, and it came down to engine choice between a 60hp 4stroke or a 75hp 4 stroke, what would you choose.

The 60hp 4-stroke weighs 247 pounds.
the 75hp 4-stroke weighs 399 pounds.

15 hp difference, and 152 pounds heavier. Which one would you choose?

I don't know if this is the way to look at it but how fast would a 15hp motor push a 152lbs jon boat...probably pretty fast.
Theres also the fuel comsumption issue and which motor is more reliable...known problems and maintenance issues.

I can see each side of the conversation, but I think it would also kinda depend on the boat as well wouldn't it? I mean yeah, the 75 weighs a little more, but it also isn't gonna have to work as hard to push the boat(thus use less fuel) as opposed to the 60. So if you could tell us what kind of boat it would be going on, that'd be great. :mrgreen: :D

Bubba said:
I can see each side of the conversation, but I think it would also kinda depend on the boat as well wouldn't it? I mean yeah, the 75 weighs a little more, but it also isn't gonna have to work as hard to push the boat(thus use less fuel) as opposed to the 60. So if you could tell us what kind of boat it would be going on, that'd be great. :mrgreen: :D

Lowe Stinger 170 is just the example boat.

I'll be odd man out & say the smaller......I never need to hurry to be anywhere :wink:

ST

The Yamaha 75 and 90 are both on a 97 cubic inch block, and both weigh the same. The gear ratio is also the same, so the 75 is just a detuned 90. Thereby, your fuel consumption will be pretty on the higher side as compared to some other 75s.

Also, that hull may actually perform better with a lighter motor. On aluminum bass boats, the fuel tank, batteries, and livewell are all in the stern, and they don't exactly get up on pad like a glass boat (some of the performance aluminums do, but not the Stingers). All this weight in the transom will pull it down, then you are adding a lot more motor weight, without adding enough motor to really get the boat back up. If those are my only 2 motor choices, I would probably go with the 60, or buy the boat by itself, and put an F90 on it myself (dealer won't do it)..

Is there a reason you aren't opening yourself up to other motors?
The Etec 75 weighs 320 and has just the same pollution ratings, not to mention the 3 years no maintenance, as well as being a 2 stroke, after those 3 years, the maintenance will still be lesser. About the only downside is having to buy the boat and motor separately, as Lowe is owned by Yammy, but if you have a dealer that sells both Lowe/Yammies, and BRP products (evinrude) they should be able to hook you up with a package deal. Otherwise, you buy the boat with no factory prerig, and then take it to an Evinrude dealer, and he will sell/mount the motor.

The Honda and Merc 4 strokes are all about 380, so not much gain in buying seperate.

You probably don't want the carbed 2 strokes, but the standard Yammie two strokes are only 230ish for a 70. Not to mention it will be cheaper, but if you ever plan on selling, it probably isn't the way to go.

I would go with the bigger motor.
I had a 175hp on my 19ft boat and have a 225 on my 21ft boat I can cruise at 60mph and only be pushing 4900rpms with my 175 i was pushing 5200 rpms to get the same speed With the bigger motor i save gas and the motor doesn't work as hard to get the same performance. And with the added horse power you have the extra get up and go if you need to get out of harms way
Then the added resale value seals the deal.
You can never go wrong buying a yammie for your boat. it will run forever.
Wayne

Bassboy,
Lowe boats only come with Mercury motors (according to the dealer). To switch over to another brand requires all new everything and the dealer sad that it would cost allot more to do it.

Window shopping is nice. :D

Lowe is owned by Brunswick, which also owns Mercury, hence the Lowe factory motor options.

Yamaha owns G3 and they are partnered with Xpress. Both of those come with factory Yamahas.

Like bassboy said, It might be back heavy with all the batteries and fuel and the bigger motor in back. My boat was SCARY the first time I took it out, almost swamped it. I had 2 batteries and fuel and my jet motor. Had to move the batts. up front and move some weight around. Its fine now, and will plane out in 1/4 boat length. I would go with the bigger motor though. My boat is rated for a 60, I put a 90/65 on it.

Jim said:
Bassboy,
Lowe boats only come with Mercury motors (according to the dealer). To switch over to another brand requires all new everything and the dealer sad that it would cost allot more to do it.

Window shopping is nice. :D
For some strange reason, I coulda swore you mentioned Yammies in the original post. Dunno why.

Sure it will cost more, but I don't know how much more. Dealers like to emphasize costing A LOT more, which it does, if you buy one off the showroom, and they have to remove all the merc stuff. But, all manufactures will sell one with no factory prerig, so all you have to pay for is mounting the other brand stuff. Just food for thought.

Basically, take what I said in the above post, and put Merc in everywhere I said Yammy. I just checked, and the 75 merc is a detuned 90 as well.

Latest posts