Using home improvement deck sealer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mivison

Reaction score
What is wrong with using deck sealer you get at the home improvement stores to seal plywood for the deck of your jon boat upgrade? You know, the stuff you use on a porch.

Years ago many of the products like Thompsons water seal were wax based with a solvent that evaporated off leaving the wax.
It worked for a while then needed to be replied. Epoxy, fiberglass or old timers formula are much longer lasting processes.
I did just look at some of the new deck sealers, Thompsons has a couple of sealers that have Latex resin, Tung oil. Linseed oil and
Mineral oil in them. This combination sound good, has a 4 year warranty on "decks". Every few years you can sand it and apply a fresh coat it should help your wood last. A good choice of plywood's for a deck are ACX then BCX rated.

Hopefully nothing...

Knowing that epoxy is generally regarded as the best and longest-lasting sealer, I personally still opted to run a high-quality deck sealer from Behr with a 5-year deck rating and 15-year fence rating. I guess I’ll let you know in 5+ years if it’s worth it...! My reasoning:

1. Convenience and cost
2. It will be coated thoroughly, with extra care to seal areas of exposed lamination like edges.
3. My boat will not be used much (~6 times per year max, realistically) and won’t be stored outside in the sun. I’m guessing I could get 10-15 years out of it.
4. All wood will be carpeted. The coating will also likely long outlive my carpet, so if I recarpet I can easily add a coat or two of sealer.
5. I don’t need the sealer to last my lifetime. Worst case scenario...I’m forced to work on my boat in 10-15 years, and my son will be old enough to help, so that sounds like a fun project to do together!

If my boat was going to see more use and/or harsher storage conditions, I probably would have opted for a sealer with more durability and longevity.

Many deck sealing products contain copper compounds (like pressure treated wood does) that degrade and corrode aluminum. Use nothing containing any copper/cupric oxide/ cupric anything in the ingredients.

Dan B. said:
Many deck sealing products contain copper compounds (like pressure treated wood does) that degrade and corrode aluminum. Use nothing containing any copper/cupric oxide/ cupric anything in the ingredients.
This is something I didn't know.
Thanks

I just used (today) Thompson 's wood sealer on my shed (cedar siding). That stuff is basically liquid wax. I can't imagine carpet glue sticking to it.

Latest posts