New to Forum - AWESOME SITE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoody

Reaction score
Hello All, I am new to this site but not new to jon boat modifications. I have converted 3 jons to date and always found limited info/help on the topic, then I discovered this site, WOW didnt realize jon mods were so popular. I stumbled across this site via youtube when I did a search for "jon boat mod", I watched a video of random members boat projects and there seems to be some talented folks lurking this board. So I thought I would fit right in because I am a avid outdoorsman of hunting and fishing and I take pride and enjoy customizing my gear.

Since I stumbled across this site its obvious I got questions and hope to help a few members with idea's.

Since thats out the way, heres my situation, I recently purchased a 1999 Lowe L1448M w/ 1999 Johnson 25hp. I love this boat and had a 2007 Lowe L1448M (bare bones) that I sold to buy this one since it had everything I wanted (Bimini Top, outboard, trolling, etc.)already and was indentical other then year and a few pounds.

This boat is carpeted on the bench seats and has no floor, I'll get pics soon, it does have a baitwell/Livewell in the center bench, which brings me to my first question and I know its been asked 100 times.

I want to remove the middle bench but leave the baitwell in place (center), is this possible/safe to do? what are the pros/cons, and how would I make sure it was still structually sound? like I said I have converted smaller jons but never cut/removed any part of the structure, my goal is make this thing a catfishing machine.

Thanks!

Welcome aboard mate :D

Nice to hear you have some projects under your belt-post any pics if ya have'em.

I would be more comfortable giving an you some feed back if I could see the boat? so a pic of what ya want to do would be helpfull, taking out a bench i personally would never do, I wanted to at one point, but changed my mind.

Welcome Smoody,
With having 3 mods under your belt, you will be a resource here! Thanks for joining. :beer:

I'm curious as to how big the livewell/baitwell is under the seat. I always assumed it was the whole seat. I guess not. If your planning on leaving it right there, why not just leave it as is and still have a functioning seat? By removing the bench you will be able to walk around it?

Sorry for the questions :D

:WELCOME:

I'm with Jim, if you're leaving the livewell, just as leave the seat.

ST

The livewell isnt all the way across, there is about 8" on each side, however I wasn't real clear in my first post, I thought about taking the bench seat out and turning the livewell the opposite direction. that would give me over 1 ft on each side, not really interested in making it so that I can walk all the way around it, just want to mount 2 seats in the floor and that will be between them as a bait tank, and the 15" I would gain by removing the bench would allow me to put full boat length rod holders/storage on each side. I'll draw up a spec sheet for a visual.

Regards

Thanks everyone! this forum is super sweet! spent 2 hours earlier reading past posts, wow.

here is my very first mod, it was a alumacraft 12x32 , this was a trial and error as i had no idea what i was doing at that time, but it turned out functional, I did learn one good thing from it, the less wood the better as this boat got really heavy when completed, its been out of my life for about 5 years now. lol

Attachments

• tn_IMG_0064.JPG
    tn_IMG_0064.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 836
  • tn_IMG_0063.JPG
    tn_IMG_0063.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 836
  • tn_IMG_0067.JPG
    tn_IMG_0067.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 837

Latest posts