1951 'New' Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basenjib123

Reaction score
I bought this for $100. Needs a lot of TLC. It's a 12ft. Duratech and I was told 1951. Has about 1/2 dozen slow leaks, mostly on the floor. Has one somewhat faster leak on the floor in the corner where the transom and floor join up. As you can see in the picture, I have 1 broken floor brace. I'm thinking about replacing all the rivets in the bottom, and hopefully that should take care of the leaking problems. I was thinking of going the glovit route, but the research consensus seems to say that replacing rivets is the proper fix, please correct me if I'm wrong. Any and ALL advise, comments are welcome as this is my first restoration attempt. Can anything be done about that big dent in the bow? Thanks for your time, Joe.

Attachments

• Bottom_Braces copy.jpg
    Bottom_Braces copy.jpg
    603.7 KB · Views: 449
  • Bottom_Front copy.jpg
    Bottom_Front copy.jpg
    559.4 KB · Views: 449
  • Corner copy.jpg
    Corner copy.jpg
    686.5 KB · Views: 449
  • Front_View copy.jpg
    Front_View copy.jpg
    921 KB · Views: 449
  • Full-View copy.jpg
    Full-View copy.jpg
    991.7 KB · Views: 449
  • Inside_Break copy.jpg
    Inside_Break copy.jpg
    793.3 KB · Views: 449
  • Inside_Front copy.jpg
    Inside_Front copy.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 449
  • Inside_Transom copy.jpg
    Inside_Transom copy.jpg
    681.3 KB · Views: 449
  • Inside_View copy.jpg
    Inside_View copy.jpg
    490.9 KB · Views: 449
Instead of replacing all of the rivets, maybe you could just rebuck them. Then after that just replace the ones that still leak.

You would have to remove all those rivets & straighten the center keel pc 1st. then pound skin out & re-rivet keel. The holes probably won't line up again. Maybe drill out, reseal with 3M 5200 or Gluvit & then use washers or an additional strip on inside. It would be a lot of work.

CedarRiverScooter said:
You would have to remove all those rivets & straighten the center keel pc 1st. then pound skin out & re-rivet keel. The holes probably won't line up again. Maybe drill out, reseal with 3M 5200 or Gluvit & then use washers or an additional strip on inside. It would be a lot of work.

ok so that would be a big NO in my book :D ... thanks for the reply.

basenjib123 said:
CedarRiverScooter said:

I think you make a good choice. Just leave it be and enjoy the boat.

LDUBS said:
basenjib123 said:
CedarRiverScooter said:

I think you make a good choice. Just leave it be and enjoy the boat.
:)

Latest posts