I have a bulge in my bottom and would like to remedy it.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaisedByWolves

Reaction score
The previous owner of my boat trailered it with a battery for the trolling motor situated in an unsupported area of the hull leading to it being bulged downward right before the transom in the center of the boat.

This may be causing me some motor issues (Excessive spray, cavitation, bad water to the prop etc) and I would like to remedy it before going to more extreme ($$$) measures to fix the above mentioned issues.

The hull in this area is bulged downward about 1/4", and a little larger than a car battery.

I have thought of two different approaches.

1: place a piece of plywood inside the hull with weights on it and hit the underside with a BFH and try to reshape it "Flat". Not really flat but into some rudimentary boat like shape.

B, Heat it with a propane torch and quench it with a wet rag like pulling a small dent out of a fender.

Two things I dont want to do is "Hook" the bottom at the transom, or overheat the seam at the transom.

Any thoughts?

Fill water inside of hull, then use floor jack & appropriate size of plywood to focus force into the dent.

To anneal most hull alloys, 5052 etc., hit it with a Sharpie marker and heat entire area FAST until the Sharpie melts and whack with HUGE rubber mallet over a suitable hardwood block.

No need to add any wet rag, as those alloys air and work harden. So if you need to hit it again, make sure you heat it again …

DaleH said:
To anneal most hull alloys, 5052 etc., hit it with a Sharpie marker and heat entire area FAST until the Sharpie melts and whack with HUGE rubber mallet over a suitable hardwood block.

No need to add any wet rag, as those alloys air and work harden. So if you need to hit it again, make sure you heat it again …

Should I do the whole area at once or work on smaller areas?

I would be careful as you may cause more damage than it’s worth.

The title you chose had me afraid to open the thread :LOL2:

CedarRiverScooter said:
Fill water inside of hull, then use floor jack & appropriate size of plywood to focus force into the dent.
This sounds interesting.

Leave the bulge well enough alone already ... step or place your weight ANYWHERE in a tin boat, unless fully sitting on a bench seat and you just created a 1/4" deep 'bulge' ... LOL!

Latest posts