Cleaning Aluminum

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wgarrison

Reaction score
Hello

I have a 2013 Tracker 175 that I bought used. Boat is in wonderful condition; however, I have a pretty dirty hull. I am trying to clean this WITHOUT a straight acid (sulfuric, muriatic, Purple Power, etc).

I am not afraid of a little elbow grease to get this clean. Anyone have any suggestions? See picture.Scum.jpg

wgarrison said:
Hello

I have a 2013 Tracker 175 that I bought used. Boat is in wonderful condition; however, I have a pretty dirty hull. I am trying to clean this WITHOUT a straight acid (sulfuric, muriatic, Purple Power, etc).

I am not afraid of a little elbow grease to get this clean. Anyone have any suggestions? See picture.Scum.jpg

Purple power aluminum cleaner and other brands out there..Watched a video where a guy did a old Tracker and stuff cleans hull right off.Not a shiny finish but dang nice.Spray it on and hose it off.

I purchased a 1954 Alumacraft model R a few years ago. Was dirty as heck and oxidized in places.
For this boat i used simple SOS pads and water. You start with the pad on a wet hull and you will feel quite a bit of resistance. All of a sudden you will feel the pad break free. Take a look and the hull will be clean and bright. Have done this on two Alumacrafts and one Orlando Clipper.
I have photos of the before and after but they are on another computer. Take a look at this video and see if this is what you are after finish wise. This one has my 16' Model K in it that was cleaned by SOS pads. There may be shots of the outside but there are tons of shots of the inside of it that show the finish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42AXu-ruk4w

I saw a video online about a product called Purple Power Aluminum Brightener and found that O'Rielly carries it. They also carry a cheaper store brand. I figured $15 a gallon isn't bad so I bought some. Spray on....hose off. It only took 1/2 gallon. I'll let the picture of my 1961 Alumacraft Model K....speak for itself. That's a 60 year old boat!
image0.jpeg

cabinman said:
I saw a video online about a product called Purple Power Aluminum Brightener and found that O'Rielly carries it. They also carry a cheaper store brand. I figured $15 a gallon isn't bad so I bought some. Spray on....hose off. I would post a picture but I can't figure it out. Take my word for it....this stuff really works!

Try this and let me know if you run into any issues:

1. Post a new topic, or reply to an existing topic.
2. Towards the bottom of the page, where you are creating your post, there is an "Upload Attachment" section. > Click on "Choose File" in the Filename section. (you will need to know where the image file is on your computer, or device, you are using to create the post).
3. Click on "Add the File" in the File Comment section.
4. Click on "Place inline" in the Attachments section to place the image in your post.

Jim

I had good luck with some scotch brite type pads that I got at my local hardware store. I used the "white" version of the assortment and applied some Brasso Aluminum polish (it took two bottles for the polished stripe on my hull, so it takes quite a bit. I used the the drill to scrub it on and it generally worked itself off I think I needed 4 pads total to do both sides of my polished stripe.

Good luck!

PXL_20200925_172719733.jpg
PXL_20200925_171402236.jpg
PXL_20200925_202605487.jpg
PXL_20200925_202559443.jpg
PXL_20201004_213512562.jpg

https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48546&p=481749&hilit=patriot2#p481749

Latest posts