18' canoe rear crushed by tree

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinkingfast

Reaction score
So...rear of my 18' Grumman canoe has been flattened. Area from bulkhead forward is good. Need to square off back and make it a square back. Anybody have any ideas on fabricating a transom? Al or wood? Will use a 4.5hp merc.

as always, thanx for any ideas

Personally, I'd go with all aluminum. No worry about eventual leakage and rot. Pictures might get you some good fabrication ideas.

Roger

Sinkingfast said:
Anybody have any ideas on fabricating a transom?

Well, if you follow this post here, you'll have everything you need to fabricate a new tin transom ... https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37548

Note there is a 3-4" 'overlap' or lip where the new transom piece fit into the stern opening side & bottom panels.

BEFORE
Transom Repair - BEFORE.JPG

AFTER
Transom Repair - AFTER.JPG

DaleH said:
Note there is a 3-4" 'overlap' or lip where the new transom piece fit into the stern opening side & bottom panels.

A 3-4" overlap might be a bit much on a canoe.

Got some direction thanx to you all. Will probably invert the transom piece with the fasteners outside the boat...as in the lip will be towards the rear and not in the boat...probably with a 1-1/4 lip and 5200. Will be using a Merc 45 hp....well actually 4.5 hp.. let me dream okay! Will use a wood insert for the motor clamp.

I am sure some project drift will occur....I do have my sx550 standup not being used...j/k.

Back about 1980 or so I put on a Hurricane 10 off a rotted hydroplane on that canoe. With my 234lb friend in the front all it did was raise him high in the sky and I was level with the water...yea I know [-X