Lowe 16x48 Restoration

Boating related questions, small projects, custom work and talk go here.
wyodeputy

Lowe 16x48 Restoration

Post by wyodeputy »

Hello everybody,

I've been poking around the site for some time now and its pretty clear I've found a bunch of sick-os who dig this boat stuff as much as I do - so I joined and I'm looking forward to associating with you guys. So I'll get right to the point: I submit exhibit A ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wyodeputy on 01 Jan 2009, 01:40, edited 2 times in total.

wyodeputy

Lowe 16x48 Restoration

Post by wyodeputy »

A little history on this boat. When I was very young and growing up in Southeast Texas, my Dad traded a co-worker a 14x36 with a 15 hp evinrude for this Lowe 16x52 with a 35 hp evinrude (straight across trade). I guess the other guy wanted a smaller boat? Growing up I spent countless hours fishing and duck hunting from this boat. Somewhere in there, Dad replaced the motor with a 25 hp. Eventually, college and work transplanted me to Idaho and the boat hasn't seen much use in recent years. In fact, it hasn't been registered since '04.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wyodeputy on 01 Jan 2009, 01:40, edited 2 times in total.

wyodeputy

Lowe 16x48 Restoration

Post by wyodeputy »

Dad has agreed to trade me my current boat, an alumacraft waterfowler 16, for the family boat. Most would say I'm getting the short end of the stick (my alumacraft is in great shape) but this was my choice and its a reunion of sorts. As just mentioned, me and this boat have history and I hope you guys will assist me as I attempt to bring her back to a useful condition.
Last edited by wyodeputy on 01 Jan 2009, 01:41, edited 1 time in total.

ben2go

Lowe 16x52 Restoration

Post by ben2go »

:WELCOME:
I completely understand wanting Dad's old boat and trading for it.I still have my dad's old house trailer and land that I grew up in.Looks like a solid boat.Little cleaning and paint,she'll be good as new.

wyodeputy

Lowe 16x52 Restoration

Post by wyodeputy »

Most folks wouldn't think there'd be much use for this type boat in Idaho but it'll be perfect for duck hunting my local river and fishing some of the lakes. Dad's gonna keep the 25 hp Johnson and I'm looking to run my Mud Buddy 45hp on the Lowe. This will require some serious work on the transom, both building it up a few inches and beefing it up considerably.

wyodeputy

Lowe 16x52 Restoration

Post by wyodeputy »

So here's the plan:

As the Lowe will be used primarily for duck hunting and secondarily for fishing, I'm gonna gut the thing completely and leave mostly an open hull with pedastal bases to accomodate the ride out to the duck blind or the fishing trips. Both seats are coming out and I think I'll build onto the front one to extend it a bit. (I'm really concerned about the structural consequences of removing the seats and how to compsensate for it?)

Also, weight is a huge factor for me. You'd think 45 horses would fly but at 6200 feet, I'm robbed of some power due to elevation and carbueration. My current setup (the alumacraft) is very heavy and it shows. The boat alone weighs in at 530 lbs. Add 2 guys at 220 lbs each, 2 dogs, 2 guns, decoys, battery etc and its too much; well over 1200 lbs. The Lowe is light enough where I can lift up the front fairly easily. Therefore, I wanna keep it that way and do all my mods with aluminum and a mig welder (spoolgun).

This also is a concern as Dad says the boat's hull material may be too thin for a mig? We'll have to see.
Last edited by wyodeputy on 11 Oct 2008, 02:34, edited 1 time in total.

ben2go

Lowe 16x52 Restoration

Post by ben2go »

I agree with Dad.The best way to weld that thin metal is with a tig that has a water cooled torch.I have welded thin aluminum with a mig.It warped a little.I stitch welded it and allowed the metal to cool.I also had a professional set up the welder since I was doing the welding at work.I am use to welding plate steel.As far as removing the seats,I don't see a problem since the plan includes welding structure back in.You could always tack weld everything and then take it to a friend or shop to have the welds finished.Just a random thought.

wyodeputy

Lowe 16x52 Restoration

Post by wyodeputy »

Excellent suggestion Ben2Go. Please keep track of me as your experience and expertise could sure help me with this project - Thanks

dedawg1149

Lowe 16x52 Restoration

Post by dedawg1149 »

:WELCOME: aboard wyodeputy i would have to agree, i would of traded for the sentimental value to. as far as the welding goes that would depend on your experience .i have a buddy that can weld light aluminum with a MIG and a spool gun but he has been welding all his life.all you can do is try a small area if it looks like you are going to burn through you could do like ben2 go suggested tack it or you could build the frame out of the boat then have someone weld it in .as far as the benches i would say take them out if you are going to put a sub-floor in the back that way you can Tye the sides back in structurally
The fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad

wyodeputy

Lowe 16x52 Restoration

Post by wyodeputy »

Wow, its 2:16 am and I've already gotten some good feedback. Thanks guys

Continuing with info on the boat, currently about 1800 miles seperates me from this project but I've got plans to ride down with an uncle and bring it back before the end of the month. Don't know if you can tell but that trailer ain't gonna make the trip. Hoping to take a cutting torch to it and salvage the axle, springs and maybe some other parts. So in addition to a boat restoration, I'll be building a trailer pretty much from ground up. Are pictures of trailer manufacturing ok on the boat mods page? In all actuallity, that'll probably be the first order of business as it'll make moving the boat in and out of the garage much easier. The wife had some input on that ... [-X

dedawg1149

Lowe 16x52 Restoration

Post by dedawg1149 »

yeah the wives get there say so dont they. u can post your trailer build. we like pictures and it would be interesting
The fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad

bassboy1
Site Sponsor

Lowe 16x52 Restoration

Post by bassboy1 »

Dad and I have built a few trailers. If you need specific pictures or help in that sort, just lemme know.

Andy

Lowe 16x52 Restoration

Post by Andy »

Welcome aboard!

I would have traded for Dad's boat too! Can't wait to see more pics of the build.
No, I REALLY would rather be fishing.....

Zum

Lowe 16x52 Restoration

Post by Zum »

I agree with the sentimental value...I have the boat my grandfather built(wood/fiberglass bottom),it's in a hayloft right now hanging from the rafters(wouldn't fit in my house).
The guy who welded my bracket for my trolling motor used a mig and my decking is factory(pretty light);he had no trouble.Although he is a welder by trade.
I wanna see pictures of the mud motor on the 1652:)

taino_racing

Lowe 16x52 Restoration

Post by taino_racing »

=D> welcome aboard i really like the history behind the boat,this will make the boat that more enjoyable!good luck with your project keep us informed!