Looking to buy this jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bull_dawg67

Reaction score
I have looking for a while now for a jon to work on and modify. I found this today on craigslist and thought it might be good mainly cause the guy lives pretty close to me. What I wanted to know from y'all is how much would you offer for this boat and how long do you think it would take to complete. This would be my first time working on a boat and don't want to get in over my head but I do enjoy a good challenge. Thanks for any info you can give me.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/boa/1050243195.html

let me know if that link doesn't work

DO NOT BUY THAT BOAT!!!!!!IT IS A DANGEROUS MOD. We just had a big discussion about this boat.Fiberglass will not stick to aluminum because they expand and contract at different rates.This will cause the boat to break up.

Here the thread about that boat. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7188

:WELCOME:

We talked about that boat on another thread. :D

Honestly...If this is your first boat, it might be a bit too much. Do you have access to a welder and the know how to weld it all up?

Then to do the things needed to get it waterworthy above and beyond that might be too much. The guy who did this to the boat is giving up on it to buy something to fish out of....Too me he was a little over his head.

If it were me I would keep looking for a jon that needs cosmetics.

Good luck!
Jim

bull_dawg67 said:
What I wanted to know from y'all is how much would you offer for this boat....
Nothing.
...and don't want to get in over my head...
I hate to be blunt, but I certainly wouldn't touch that. I saw it on CL the other day (I am up in Cartersville) and it was posted on here earlier in the week.

The idea of that was a good one, in fact it was done by a member here a year or so ago. Here is the link.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3034

However, he went with widening it out of aluminum, welded on. In essence, it is just as if the boat was built wider from the get go.

But, in this case, the guy attempted to widen it with fiberglass. Fiberglass and aluminum do not work well together. They expand and contract at different rates, not to mention that they don't bond well even if kept at a constant temperature, where the differing expansion rates would be nil. So, I would bet that the boat would split down the middle before the end of the first season. Or, if it doesn't split in half and make new fish structure, it will be leaking like a sieve.

I would definitely keep on the lookout. I check craigslist and all the other local sites about 10 times daily, and I have never seen so few jons for sale as I have this year. However, tough as it is, you definitely can do better than that.

fill it with dirt and plant flowers in it, thats about all its good for :)

Thanks for all your input. The main thing I was worried about was if fiberglass would stick to aluminum so thanks for answering that for me, I guess I'll keep looking!!