Pin style Pedestal help when you can't use washers and nuts

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
baptistpreach

Post by baptistpreach »

I want my pedestals to be sturdy, and I know the washers and bolts are the best method, but I can't reach down there to do that, what's my best option next? I'm not heavy (175lbs) but my dad.... um.... is.... heavier (260-270) and I want it to be strong enough for him, so what should I do?

I already planned on adding some extra strength by having my 2x2's run where the six holes will be, but am I going to be okay using regular screws since I can't reach the bottom where the bolts would go through?
Living proof that anyone can, if they just try.
If you don't see me here, I might just be out on Visitation!

redbug

Post by redbug »

If it were e 6'5" 300 I would try to find some 1/4" aluminium plate to cover the entire seat that you are going to mount the base on then use toggle bolts to attach that round the edges and also for the seat. You can cover the plate with carpet so it looks clean.
When I added pedestals to my crawdad I found an 8 sided piece that was red with white lettering hanging on a pole that I used to spread out the load instead of just going through the plywood
emoticon-tv-002
WE'RE ON A MISSION FOR GOD

Quackrstackr

Post by Quackrstackr »

Any way to put T-nuts in there before you install the floor or 2x2's?
Paddle faster... I hear banjos

baptistpreach

Post by baptistpreach »

Hmm... It's be pretty tricky..... I could cut a hole in the aluminum bench bench that would be big enough to put them in. I'd have to undo my 2x2's and then try to use sticky tack to hold them in place whiile I lowered the floor and then the pedestals.... it wouldn't be very easy. And what would hold the T-nuts in place?? I couldn't get below to hold them?

Quackrstackr

Post by Quackrstackr »

The T-nuts have barbs on the washer face that hold them in place long enough to get the bolt started.

I'm not 100% sure on where you are mounting your pedestals or what you are mounting them to.

CrappieReaper

Post by CrappieReaper »

Preach, I'm going to go with some SS tapered wood screws for my rig. I can't get to mine either. This is why I have doubled up the plywood in the areas of the seat pedestals. I will be able to bolt the forward seat base, but, the four bases I am going to mount to the floor deck, will just have to be 1 1/2" long screws. I figure with 6 solid screws in there, it'll hold just fine. Bolts are prefered, but am limited and I don't want to remove the deck to use T nuts. If the screws do strip somehow, I can turn the seat base slightly and have 6 brand new mounting spots.

baptistpreach

Post by baptistpreach »

Thanks, I guess I was just hoping to hear someone else say that it should be strong enough, I really can't do anything else!
At least not that I can think of

Quackrstackr

Post by Quackrstackr »

I hope that I am wrong but I do not think wood screws are going to hold for you guys for very long.

Preacher, can you get a picture of the place where you are mounting these seat bases? We may be able to give you a better idea if you could.

redbug

Post by redbug »

wood screws will work as long as you don't move to fish or anything

take your screws and but them on a scrap piece with the pedestals figure some way to attach it in a vert. position and pull down, push up on it and you will see that it will not last.. i would figure a way to do it rite once

my .02 worth
emoticon-tv-002
WE'RE ON A MISSION FOR GOD

baptistpreach

Post by baptistpreach »

I was thinking of the big bolts that you can screw in, not wood screws. I'll show you where they're going
Attachments
This is on the edge of the rear bench
This is on the edge of the rear bench
If you can see on the bench where the horizontal lines are.... that's where.
If you can see on the bench where the horizontal lines are.... that's where.

Quackrstackr

Post by Quackrstackr »

That's sort of what I was figuring. I still say that T-nuts are your best option.

You just need to drill your holes and install your nuts before you put the decking down.

I ripped the lag bolts (what you are talking about) out of the floor of a charter boat in Florida a few years ago. Ones that they were installing when we got there....

The base had come loose the day before and they thought those would hold until after we were done fishing and they could repair it properly. They were wrong. :lol:

russ010

Post by russ010 »

I've got my pedestal mount put down with the longest and widest wood screws I could find to fit the holes of the base... I think they are #14, but I'm not positive. I've also got an extra piece of 3/4" underneath the decking though from where I had my other seat... but you'll be fine with wood screws... One thing you might want to do is to put some Loc Tite on the screw as you are drilling it in... it's helped mine

One thing you might try is putting down a section of aluminum angle iron on the 2x2, then using self-tapping metal lag screws ... that would definitely work for what you are doing

Big Buck

Post by Big Buck »

What i did was take two pieces of 3/4 plywood, cut them both to the same size, I think 10" X 12" and then glued them together. That gave me my base. I then routered out the hole where the base went. Then I drilled my six holes and on the oppisite side of my seat base counter sunk the holes, so when i put my bolts and nuts on they were flush with the wood. That gave me a solid base for the seat base, i then made another base on the top of my seat with 3/4 plywood that went across the entire seat. I think you can see what I mean with the pictures below. I then screwed that to the aluminum bench seat and then screwed the pedastal peice to that. It is very solid and I don't think that it will go anywhere. Hope this helps.
Attachments
You can't really see it that great in this picture, but the carpeted part under the seat base is the 3/4 plywood that I put down and then screwed the seat base that I made to.
You can't really see it that great in this picture, but the carpeted part under the seat base is the 3/4 plywood that I put down and then screwed the seat base that I made to.
This one does not show the plywood on top of the bench seat, I added that after this was taken.
This one does not show the plywood on top of the bench seat, I added that after this was taken.
IMG_0396.jpg
IMG_0395.jpg
IMG_0392.jpg

Quackrstackr

Post by Quackrstackr »

Big Buck, what did you attach your plywood base to the other piece with? That is now probably your weak spot.

I love seeing the mods that you guys are doing but I wince every time I see one of these things with plain old pine lumber. I'm sure they will last a long time if left inside and all of that carpet never gets wet but I can tell you from years of personal experience that the water will take it's toll.
Last edited by Quackrstackr on 04 Mar 2009, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.