bedliner material?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoody

Reaction score
How well will bedliner spray adhere to wood? I am debating if after I lay my floors will a bedliner roll on adhere to the plywood without any issues? I do not think I want to go the carpet route and thought this would be a good waterproofer to protect the plywood, I have also looked into boat vinyl, but its kinda pricey

EDIT: I am talking about something similar to this
https://www.amesresearch.com/price_fd.htm

They have a rubberized product used on roofs, one in particular is called Maximum stretch, it gives up to 750%.

it will adhear fine. i did the inside bottom and sides of my boat for a sound deadener and it worked great, but if you do your boat in all black bedliner it may get alittle hot in the summer

Mike, what brand did you use? think it will adhere to wood well?

The stuff I am looking at isnt bed liner, its a rubber water proof coating for roofs, it says it will adhere to wood though, and the good thing is they make it in light gray! and 1 gallon will cover 100 sq ft

EDIT:
This is the product they recommend for boats, what do you guys think?

Ames’® Safe-T-Deck™

Ames Research Laboratories' Safe-T-Deck is a pure, water based, environmentally friendly, adhesive acrylic latex safety paint that is skid resistant. It preserves and protects by substantially increasing the strength of the surface through adhesion. It also seals out moisture and renews the old surface, while providing an excellent skid-resistant finish that is ideal for pedestrian traffic. Safe-T-Deck is easy to apply.

Safe-T-Deck can be used alone and is ideal for: Stairways and Walkways, Wheelchair Ramps, Porches and Patios, Boat Decks and Boat Docks, Concrete Decks, Decks and Roof Decks, Concrete, Metal and Wood. Poorly drained decks with pooling water after a rain, require multiple coats of Super Elasto-Barrier prior to applying Safe-T-Deck

Concrete floors should be wire brushed and power-washed. In certain situations a shot-blaster may be needed to roughen the surface. Read all label instructions before beginning. Always run a test patch first in an inconspicuous area, to ensure that proper adhesion and drying occurs and the product works to your satisfaction.

It depends on what your end goal is.

I have seen quite a bit of that grip paint used in manufacturing facilities. If that is what you are after, it will probably work. Notice they say for water pooling you need to apply a base coat of something else.

Yea I noticed that about the pooling, but I shouldn't have pooling in my boat! lol

After some research here is a list of options, so many, hard to choose. I plan to paint all the wood in my boat with whatever I buy. Its cheaper to do this than it is to carpet it, and I think this will protect and last longer.

https://www.ultratuff.net - very impressive client list

https://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/96280/377+710/

https://www.grizzlygrip.com/boats.asp#

https://www.sanitred.com/BoatRepair.htm

spray cans of undercoating from the parts store. its prettymuch just rubber and glue. you wouldnt want to spray your hole boat with it, id only recomend spray what your going to cover. it makes for an excellent sound deadener/ protector / and softer surface. i even glue'd carpet over it and it all holds up excellect. for 14 bucks i did the hole inside of the boat and framing. we may not be in the same situation, but i hope this helps maybe for a cheap alternative

That is where I am right now. I am leaning against carpet and toward a "coating" for my plywood deck.

A big fan of barefoot in the boat, I am looking for something comfy and easy to clean that will not hold water so a rubberized coating seems to be the cost effective way to go.

But, which one? I am cheap, but would rather not have to redo the deck too often.

you'll see it in big black cans at autozone or any parts store. get the undercoating with sound deadner. be carefull not to let any overspray dry on you that glue is strong :mrgreen:

barefoot in the boat on a nice summer day is the only way to go

DANZIG said:
That is where I am right now. I am leaning against carpet and toward a "coating" for my plywood deck.

A big fan of barefoot in the boat, I am looking for something comfy and easy to clean that will not hold water so a rubberized coating seems to be the cost effective way to go.

But, which one? I am cheap, but would rather not have to redo the deck too often.

I am leaning toward grizzly grip, it is very "rubbery" feeling when applied thick, is the cheapest I have found in that type material. $88 for a Black 4x6 truck kit which includes 1 gallon, 3 qts, UV additive, 2 4" rollers, this will cover most jon boats, $109 for the kit if you want it in a different color other than black.

Loggerhead Mike said:
you'll see it in big black cans at autozone or any parts store. get the undercoating with sound deadner. be carefull not to let any overspray dry on you that glue is strong :mrgreen:

barefoot in the boat on a nice summer day is the only way to go

Mike, I didn't think about this stuff but know what you are talking about, Wal mart has it to, however do you know if it is flammable after it dries? UV/mold resistant?

wouldn't be to good if it isnt and a fire decided to start.