From Tiller to Steering Console

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

set da hook

Reaction score
Hi, How hard and expensive is it to change a 25 hp tiller to remote steering and I have to build a side console. The boat has a wooden floor and is 16' long. Thanks, Al I really enjoy this group :roll:

I'm no expert here.... but in thinking I would think you would have to have some sort of steering cables attached to your motor...

other than that - I'm no help.. but we have enough members here to chime in

It is not that hard - but you will need to buy the controls and cables. Throttle - shift and control parts.

Se what is needed for you motor by contacted the manufacturer

Thanks, I know the cables and controls are not cheap. I thought of going to a boat salvage yard and see what I can find there. I guess I will keep looking around and keep it as a tiller for now. I remember the old wooden 16' Thompson Lapstrake I had with cables and pullies and a 33hp rude that I had to pull start #-o . Ahhhh :mrgreen: The good ol days Thanks again

Look for the throttle/shift cables for your motor, and a rotary steering cable, for the run length you will have. Is your motor electric start? A console can be fabbed easily.

The motor is electric start. Maybe I'll look up some BSYs in NC and find what I need. I was going to make the console, it was all the other items I need that I was conserned about.

I recently considered changing out a 25 hp, electric start merc from tiller to
controls.

Stick steering was the most cost effective effective steering option I found.
Cables were readily available on e-bay and reasonably priced.
But, the box was anywhere from 200 to 500 depending on availability.

I guessed I was nearing 1,000 and the cost just shut me down.

just my .02

Smackover

Smackover, it's funny but I was looking at tracker with stick steering and I was going to ask if anyone here ever used it. I saw Bill Dance using stick steering in one of his shows. I'm thinking of getting a boat with steering might be easier and less costly.

Control box w ignition switch, bout $100.
Teleflex cable, new, $100+
Cables for throttle and gears $75?
Parts for motor to convert to remote and steering wheel...Dunno

Keeping the Tiller and enjoying the extra space.....

Literally,

Priceless :D

I remember reading a post on here a while back about a guy who bought a boat to mod with a console and he ripped it out and changed to tiller steer. May have been CrappieReaper? Might do a search for it, i think he was looking to give it all away....

did you say you where in nc? if so what part

you can always go umm.. back yard , like my buddys boat he just baught. it has 2 pullys on the transom for what seems like weedeater cable running to the steering and gocart throttle cables hooked to the control box. lol, well im just kidding dont do that

I'm in Wilson N C about 40 mins east of Raleigh. So you don't think I should try what your buddy did, the idea sounds good to me :mrgreen:

Here is a mod I am finishing up where I did what you want to do. I am using an old school setup but I'll tell ya what it feels like air when I move it along and its cheap and reliable if you have access to old boat parts. All you really need is the wheel and drum everything else is pretty common. There are also 2 springs and large pulleys needed. Check out this link and my boat pics. It can be a little confusing to lay out but only about three beers worth of work. If you decide to go this way I could send you some more close up pics. And its even easier to run on closed bow boats because both lines dont need to run down just one side.

https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/columns/max/05/part2.htm

Attachments

• steering1.jpg
    steering1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 763
  • steering3.jpg
    steering3.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 764
  • steering2.jpg
    steering2.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 762
  • boatfinal1.jpg
    boatfinal1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 764
stone4140, that looks great, i would just buy the throttle items and convertion kit for the engine. Thanks

ilinimud said:
I remember reading a post on here a while back about a guy who bought a boat to mod with a console and he ripped it out and changed to tiller steer. May have been CrappieReaper? Might do a search for it, i think he was looking to give it all away....

I did remove the console in my rebuild, "Rebirth of the Tin". I have the steering wheel assembly along with the steering cable. I never said a thing about giving it away. It's not within the pack rat in me to let something go I might need in the future. I have been known to sell things reasonable though if I've tripped over it enough times. I've sent an answer to the mans PM that I would sell the assembly and the cable for $100 + Shipping. The cable alone goes for over $100 new. It's not doing me any good sitting around, but that doesn't mean I won't come across another project that might need it. After my rebuild, I'm actually thinking of doing these on a part time basis for some extra greenery.

CR I didn't expect it for free and I'm a pack rat also. My father was a pack rat too and it's a nice pass time collecting stuff you may or may not need in the future. I have more of the may nots then the mays. My wife keeps telling me [-X

Latest posts