1236 that im trying to deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have a 1236 dura craft that i would like to deck.i already have the frame done and i was wandering if it is going to be too unstable?Im 19 and no carpenter so any advice would help.
in the picture the frame is not done.

p.s.this is an awesome website by the way.0629091428_01.jpg

So you buy the supplies, build the framing, and then ask if its unstable?

What the?

you should be alright. Many people say 36in is fine, many say its too small. You'll find out soon enough.

If your gonna stand on the rear deck I would put a brace inbetween the bench and the transom. Same thing upfront, brace between the bench on front rest. The less flex you have the longer it will last. Good job so far keep it up.

That boat will be a bit tipsy, when 2 are in the boat be particularity careful. on small lakes and ponds you'll be fine, on anything of size with a lot of boat traffic (wake) I would think it would roll easily.

You should be fine. You decked your's about 2" higher (by looking at your 2x2's across the top of the benches..) than mine. I decked almost even to the tops of the benches and I didn't have any problems. When I got into lakes that allowed motors, I just sat down when the wake started coming to me and I was fine.

My wife went with me a few times and we both stood - and I could set the hook with her standing and she didn't move. It was a little wobbly, but you get used to it. Just get your partner to sit down before you set the hook - or atleast warn them before you do it or they might go over!

Ill usually be the only one standing,so if its a little tippy it will be okay.thanks for the advice.
what does anybody think about a pedistal seat?im thinking about puting one in the front.

Pedestals while trolling should be fine but it will cause problems at speed.I say use the pin base type so you can add the pedestals after you get to the fishing area.

ben2go said:
Pedestals while trolling should be fine but it will cause problems at speed.I say use the pin base type so you can add the pedestals after you get to the fishing area.

I agree as well... I had an offset pedestal (look into gettin one... it makes more room in smaller boats like yours). But I hardly used it much, so it stayed in the back because I wanted to stand and fish more and it was more in my way