Carpet Removal / Install?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenG

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I have officially begun my boat project by taking apart the existing front deck and flooring. I will create a new topic and post pictures as soon as I figure out how.

My questions:
1)what is a good way to remove the old carpet that is glued to the aluminum seats? The carpet is so old that it disintegrates when I pull on it, so I really can't just pull it off. Is there a solvent I can use? Can I sand it off? Use a putty knife and work it under and scrape?

I tried a heat gun but it just melts the carpet.

Hopefully, someone out there who has done this before can give me the voice of experience.

2) what is a good way to install the new carpet so that it comes off easier next time I need to replace it? For the new deck and floor, I was thinking to wrap the carpet around the deck and fasten it underneath without gluing it on the top. Good idea or bad? I want to avoid attaching carpet directly to aluminum if possible.

3) I have the hydrilla gorilla book and it recommends that padding be installed under the carpet to make the carpet last longer. Any experience pro or con?

Thanks,
Ken

I just used a wire brush attachment on a drill to remove the carpet. Wear a mask :wink:

If you don't glue the carpet to the plywood it will start to roll when it stretches.

Get all the old carpet off.Use a wire wheel on a drill to remove the rest and the old glue.Replace any wood with exterior grade not pressure treated.Pressure treated causes corrosion.I use 3M spray glue.It comes in a red and black can like spray paint.It's easier to remove later.You can stretch your carpet and wrap it around and staple it under the wood,this is a common method for installing carpet.

Try this thread for posting pics. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8439

Latest posts