Love this site! Here is my Lowe 1436

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
Froggy

Post by Froggy »

Looks good, I got a 1237 I cut the middle bench out for storage and battery, I decided against the seat on top, but in front of the forward bench, probably use one of these S type offset seat posts. good job!

WhiteMoose

Post by WhiteMoose »

Here is my mixing station, with my homemade paint mixer that I thought worked pretty very well.
This stuff takes a long time to mix, and I can't even describe how thick it is. Frozen honey, maybe? I did 2 cups at a time (1 cup each) plus 1/2 oz of the color pigment. The epoxies are fairly easy to pour and measure, but the pigment was a bear. It didn't really pour, so you have to scoop it out which makes measuring it impossible. The best I could do was guess.
The temperature outside only got to about 65, but after running a couple electric heaters in the garage all morning, I was able to get it up to a toasty 80 degrees by noon.

Here is a picture of how not to do your first drizzling.
I quickly discovered that this was too much as it was running all over the place. After I spread it all out over the back half and it was still running, I cussed, chugged a quick beer, and decided to use a little trowel to scoop it up and move it around to other areas, then roll over it all again. Then the problem was that it was starting to set up and and becoming really hard to roll. It ended up looking pretty tough, but I wasn't too worried since it was only the first coat. When drizzling, try to avoid spread out puddles like I had. Pour very thin lines of it, spaced about 3" or so.

Rollers! I bought an 8 pack of the 4" foam rollers, and this barely made it through the first coat. As soon as they start to tear, you have to get a new one, otherwise it leaves chunks behind. Between coats, I had to make a 40 mile Walmart run and came home with a dozen more, AND rubber gloves, which I stupidly didn't use the first time. I would also recommend getting some popsicle sticks for scraping the stuff off the side of the containers. And of course measuring cups. I cleaned 3 different dollar stores out of their $1 measuring cups.
Last edited by WhiteMoose on 11 Apr 2010, 13:27, edited 5 times in total.

WhiteMoose

Post by WhiteMoose »

I got much better at drizzling the 2nd time, and was able to get in a pretty good rhythm. Here is a shot of the first coat done (minus the transom which I did later).

I waited about 3 hours between coats for the steelflex to cure enough that it felt like masking tape. The 2nd coat (not pictured) went on much easier, and you can put it on a lot thicker because the 1st coat holds it in place and keeps it from running. I'll pull it out in the sun later today to help it cure and take another picture. I am very happy with how it turned out.

Froggy

Post by Froggy »

It helps reading the directions :lol: you put it on wrong, you gotta take it off, and that is no picnic! did you at least have a mask on [-o<

WhiteMoose

Post by WhiteMoose »

i had a mask on at first, but there really aren't any fumes to it.
At minute 19 after you mix it its fine, but at minute 21, your screwed :)

WhiteMoose

Post by WhiteMoose »

Finished product

After I pulled it out in the sun, I see it didn't do as good of a job hiding the dents and gouges as I thought it did, but I am still really happy with the stuff. She is a leaky little boat no more.
I have about 1/4 of it left, which I might use to go over the gunwales after I flip it over.

WhiteMoose

Post by WhiteMoose »

I pried this unused portion out of the measuring cup. It's only been sitting for about 3 hours and is hard enough to play hockey with, but the coat over my boat is still tacky.

ober51

Post by ober51 »

Steel Flex is awesome, but terrible to use. Great job, I know it's not easy, but it will pay off.
Current Rig: 1996 17' Tracker Targa
1997 60 HP Mariner
1987 8 HP Johnson

------

BassBlaster

Post by BassBlaster »

Your boat is lookin good. I'm looking forward to your progress, I have the same Lowe 1436 that I'm gonna start on as soon as my trailer project is complete. I'm thinking of only Steelflexing the bottom though so the sides wont be glossy. What did you do about a fuel tank location? I want to put mine in the little cubby hole by the transom but that darn transom support bracket is in the way.

dyeguy1212

Post by dyeguy1212 »

Have you tried the hammered spray paint yet? I'm curious to see how it holds up. I've had crappy results with that stuff because it seems to create a dry layer on top of whatever you're painting, instead of adhering to the surface. I'd really suggest spraying it on super thin the first time around to make sure you don't have a brittle surface. Hopefully it'll give you better results.

Boat is looking good by the way!

Troutman3000

Post by Troutman3000 »

Good job man. That steelflex is great, once your done with it. I dont want to ever have to work with that stuff again. Once its on there its good to go for several years. And you have some touch up. I am not sure I would put in on the gunnels, maybe just wire brush that part shinny and keep it for touch up.

WhiteMoose

Post by WhiteMoose »

BassBlaster wrote:What did you do about a fuel tank location? I want to put mine in the little cubby hole by the transom but that darn transom support bracket is in the way.
I don't know why I didn't figure it out sooner, but I was able to squeeze my 6 gallon tank in that space on the port side of the transom bracket. I have to put the handle down under the transom board first, then shove the rest of the tank in.
I'll take a picture when I get the boat flipped back over.
Last edited by WhiteMoose on 13 Apr 2010, 00:38, edited 3 times in total.

WhiteMoose

Post by WhiteMoose »

dyeguy1212 wrote:Have you tried the hammered spray paint yet? I'm curious to see how it holds up. I've had crappy results with that stuff because it seems to create a dry layer on top of whatever you're painting, instead of adhering to the surface. I'd really suggest spraying it on super thin the first time around to make sure you don't have a brittle surface. Hopefully it'll give you better results.
I haven't tried it yet, but now you’ve got me having 2nd thoughts. Is there another type of paint similar to this that will hide blemishes but adheres better?
Troutman3000 wrote: I am not sure I would put in on the gunnels, maybe just wire brush that part shinny and keep it for touch up.
So your saying to just leave the gunwales as bare aluminum? I'm still debating on what to do there, because I know they will be the first to get beat up.

dyeguy1212

Post by dyeguy1212 »

WhiteMoose wrote:
dyeguy1212 wrote:Have you tried the hammered spray paint yet? I'm curious to see how it holds up. I've had crappy results with that stuff because it seems to create a dry layer on top of whatever you're painting, instead of adhering to the surface. I'd really suggest spraying it on super thin the first time around to make sure you don't have a brittle surface. Hopefully it'll give you better results.
I haven't tried it yet, but now you’ve got me having 2nd thoughts. Is there another type of paint similar to this that will hide blemishes but adheres better?
To tell you the truth, I'd just go with a flat or semiflat rustoleum spray bomb. That's what I used in my 14 foot build, and it worked really well. I don't know what color you're looking for, but a flat grey or something like that would probably look good, and adhere well. Plus it'd easy to touch up, should you ding it up.

Just stay away from anything remotely glossy. When I painted the outside of my 14 foot gloss red, dents and waves in the aluminum showed up that I didn't even know were there... :roll:

dyeguy1212

Post by dyeguy1212 »

WhiteMoose wrote: So your saying to just leave the gunwales as bare aluminum? I'm still debating on what to do there, because I know they will be the first to get beat up.

That might be a good spot to spray paint the same color as the interior. That way you can very easily touch it up, and it'll flow well with the rest of the boat, as opposed to having raw metal.