Saluda River Trip

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSG-1

Reaction score
We went rafting on the Lower Saluda the other day, the water levels were much lower than last time around, making for a nice, enjoyable trip. And this time, we got much better photos and video than last time around.

"Ocean Boulevard Rapids" at 625 CFS At high flows, this is a class 4 rapid. At low flows, it's a rock maze.
100_7870.JPG

Jarvis Klapman Bridge and the Hampton Street Rapids at low water. At high flows, these rapids produce standing waves 5-8 ft high!
100_7888.JPG

Gervais Street Bridge over the Congaree River. This is what is known as an "Open Spandrel Arch Bridge" and it's on the national register of historic places. Having spent my early years in Cayce, with my dad working as a Governor's Officer across the river at the state house, and also driving back and forth from Cayce to our other place in Myrtle Beach, there's no telling how many times I rode across this bridge.
100_7894.JPG

Sure is nice, ain't it? 8)

Pictures don't do it justice.

Here's some videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGaL2nZFNvM&list=PLDphjQuc7jqwu63tEmHrb0WLbWIbeYjHf

Since the Lower Saluda River is fed from Lake Murray, and they draw the water from a depth of 300 feet, even during the summer, it's only about 60 degrees. As a result, it's the only trout fishery in the state's midland's region. DNR stocks it with rainbow and brown trout. Also, striped bass can be found in this river, and probably some cats as well.

Latest posts