Need to buy a camera ... HELP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HANGEYE

Reaction score
Oct 23rd I will be heading to Montana for a few weeks. I'll be doing some site seeing and hunting. At this time the only picture taking ability I have is with my phone. I know nothing about cameras but I need to buy one. What would be a decent camera for a true novice? It can't be one of those fancy jobs that you have to twist things and adjust things to make it work because I'm sure I could mess things up beyond repair. Is there such a thing as "point and shoot"? I have a bunch of SD cards in 2GB, 4GB and 8GB that I use in my trail cams. I may be spending a few days off the grid so replaceable batteries is a must. I would prefer not to spend a lot for this camera as this could be a 1 time use or very limited use after the trip. If someone here can point me in the right direction and the camera works for me, I will have a bunch of pics to share. Appreciate any help.

Thanks
HANGEYE

P.S. Home base will be about 40 miles south east of Missoula. I don't know if that makes a difference.

There are tons of point and shoot cameras out there. Your budget will be a big factor. I mean they literally start at $20 and go up from there to ridiculous prices. For your use I would opt for as much optical zoom (as opposed to digital zoom) as budget allows.

I liked the Panasonic Lumix compact cameras. Lens is made by Leica. Has easy to use built in features. Entry would be about $250 - $300, which is more than I personally would want to spend for what might be a one time use camera.

Common point & shoot brands in the $80 - $100 +/- range that have been around for awhile: Nikon CoolPix, Sony Cyber-Shot, Canon Powershot. I'm guessing you would be able to get extra batteries for any of these.

LDUBS, thanks for the reply. Now that I think about it (thanks to your reply) I guess what I really needed was a "brand name" to look for. Thanks for the help, time to go shopping.

Thanks
HANGEYE

Just saw this mentioned on another forum and thought I would circle back and share here. It is a GoPro camera knock off apparently. I know nothing about it. but at $32.99 it might be worth a look. Screen shot is from Costco.

Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 3.27.04 PM.png

Latest posts