Gas under carbs? Did I flood it?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z33tec

Reaction score
I noticed after taking off the motor cowling that there was some gas under my carbs. I've only taken this boat out on its first maiden voyage and wasn't real familiar with the startup routine so I think I overprimed it and flooded it a bit to get it going. Would that cause a bit of gas under there? See pic pointing to where I'm talking about.

gastb.jpg

on mine, i noticed if I leave the gas line attached on a hot day it, the tank swells and will push gas up into carb and it will spill out and pool in same spot. i always disconnect now when done for day.

not sure if thats whats happening in your case but something to look into.

Normal ... especially if the OB is left trimmed up out of the water, where the gas evaporates and/or drains out, leaving behind the oily film that causes the infamous and dreaded (hated?) blue cloud of 2-stroke oil smoke upon the next startup.

Somewhere back in the archives I wrote about leaving the fuel line attached to an engine. Never know when the needle and seat will start leaking. This would really be dangerous if you leave your boat/engine in a hot garage. Think about it.

On this subject....
Do yourself a favor and pump up the primer bulb and look at the red lever area on the primer solenoid. Cycle the primer as well while the primer bulb pressure is against the primer assembly. Check for a cracked cap or a leaky o-ring on the lever. Fairly common since most of these engines are at least three decades old now.

DaleH said:
Normal ... especially if the OB is left trimmed up out of the water, where the gas evaporates and/or drains out, leaving behind the oily film that causes the infamous and dreaded (hated?) blue cloud of 2-stroke oil smoke upon the next startup.
Ah that makes sense as it seems to be the oil residue after gas evaporation. And I leave it trimmed up alot if I'm working on the boat.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Pappy said:
Somewhere back in the archives I wrote about leaving the fuel line attached to an engine. Never know when the needle and seat will start leaking. This would really be dangerous if you leave your boat/engine in a hot garage. Think about it.

On this subject....
Do yourself a favor and pump up the primer bulb and look at the red lever area on the primer solenoid. Cycle the primer as well while the primer bulb pressure is against the primer assembly. Check for a cracked cap or a leaky o-ring on the lever. Fairly common since most of these engines are at least three decades old now.
I'll take a gander at that too, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Latest posts