Mercury or Suzuki

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zum

Reaction score
Thinking I might buy new...Thinking
My old 86 30hp Mariner (Yamaha) is still going but compression is a bit low and if it were to stop tomorrow I have got my money out of it.
I down to the Mercury and Suzuki because the dealers are within a half hour,the Yamaha is heavy and the Honda has 3 carbs(if going new may as well get EFI. The Tohatsu looks good too but dealer 4 hours away.
I know there is a little 25hp Yamaha and am going to look at it as well, just hard to believe it will move a 1652 at 25-30 mph and plane reasonably. My boats rated 35 tiller or 60 console.
Anyone here running the Suzuki or Mercury 30hp...newer models?
Hope if I buy new, the lower units are strong...I do hit a few times a year...can't remember how to post pictures or I'd show my missing skeg and prop.

20200806_121758.jpg
20200806_121200.jpg
20200807_190328.jpg
20200807_205313.jpg
Lakes really low, I only run this lake once twice a year. Theres bouys everywhere,some mark rocks, others ledges, some you go through, others you go around...its crazy. I went around a buoy and hit a ledge, pounded the prop in shape, hit another rock later,straightened it again. I do carry another prop but was there for 3 nights so thought I'd save it , thought I might lose a whole blade.

First off, I really like that boat! What model is it?

Second, are you saying you are going to stick with a 30hp motor? I know that the Mercury/Tohatsu are the same block for both their 25 and 30 hp models. I think the Yamaha 30 shares with the 40hp model. I only bring that up because there may be some used 30hp Yamahas that have been turned into 40's....or Jet 30s that have been swapped with a prop lower unit to get them back up to 40hp. I don't know anything about Suzukis though.

I have the 25 HP Suzuki, it's the same block as the 30. I'm running it on a 1546 alumaweld jon boat.
With 4 people and full tank of fuel and full ice chest I can get around 23 out of it, I ran it last weekend without the extra 3 people
and got 27 out of it. The only complaint I have on this motor is props, the extra weight of a stainless prop made prop chatter so bad that I prefer to not use it. I ordered a Solas aluminum prop and it performed well but when slowing down it had a whine to it that would drive me crazy. I just ordered a new OEM Suzuki prop and put on it and all is well.

wmk0002 said:
First off, I really like that boat! What model is it?

Second, are you saying you are going to stick with a 30hp motor? I know that the Mercury/Tohatsu are the same block for both their 25 and 30 hp models. I think the Yamaha 30 shares with the 40hp model. I only bring that up because there may be some used 30hp Yamahas that have been turned into 40's....or Jet 30s that have been swapped with a prop lower unit to get them back up to 40hp. I don't know anything about Suzukis though.
Thanks I like it too,it's a Crestliner C1652V , jet tunnel hull, 2006 model.I could do without the jet tunnel but it allows me to run my prop higher, probably lose alittle sped though.
I like to run a tiller so probably no bigger than a 40hp. I'm okay with the performance I get now with the old 30hp so I'd imagine the newer 30hp's should do as well .I get alittle bit of motor envy once awhile, especially with the power trim. Prices seem to be around 6500 up here without tax for a new 30hp, I must be crazy thinking of spending that but there seems to be no good used ones around lately.
Thanks for the reply hounddog, gives me some real life numbers.

I just bought a brand new Yamaha 25 hp tiller for my 1450 xpress. The 15,20 and 25 are the same chassis and the 30 and 40 are the same.

Each chassis size weighs the same between the different horsepower ratings.

A short shaft 25 horse tiller with manual tilt and electric start weighs 133 pounds.

I paid right at 4,050 with prop, fuel tank and hose with TTL included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zum said:

I like to run a tiller so probably no bigger than a 40hp. I'm okay with the performance I get now with the old 30hp so I'd imagine the newer 30hp's should do as well .I get alittle bit of motor envy once awhile, especially with the power trim. Prices seem to be around 6500 up here without tax for a new 30hp, I must be crazy thinking of spending that but there seems to be no good used ones around lately.
Thanks for the reply hounddog, gives me some real life numbers.

I bought a new 2018 Suzuki 30 hp and very happy with it. Fuel efficient, smooth quiet, and power tilt and trim all great features.

Onlineoutboards sells them for about $4600 US today.
$6500 Can = $4868 US, so its a little more expensive in Canada.

My advise. Wait until your Mariner quits and buy a new motor. You won't regret it!

Jasper

Alittle welding and buffing,things ready to go again.
20200816_120039.jpg
20200816_114209.jpg
20200816_121430.jpg
20200816_120136.jpg
20200816_154831.jpg
20200816_132631.jpg
3/8 aluminum for the skeg,then ground into shape. Have to do some reading on pitch and cupping,currently just making a template and shaping as close as I can.

Latest posts