Max HP worth the extra $?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aceranch1

Reaction score
I’m contemplating ordering a new boat. One I’ve been looking hard at is a Lowe FM1625WT. Max HP is 90. I will be fishing local reservoirs mostly, using the outboard to get to trolling spots. The boat minus motor weight is 1250# plus myself and 2 sons 600# = 1850, so round up to 2000#. I would guess 60HP would be plenty but my gut says spend the extra $3000 for a 90. This will be my first fishing boat so my only experience is on other’s rigs. Any solid advice from experienced boaters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry really can't help much, although most people say run the max or as close to it as possible. Have you tried YouTube videos of your boat or something similar?
Welcome to the site.

How far is the run to your fishing spots? Do you need to make the run at 30mph? Do boat traffic or nearby docks mean you'll be running slower?

I have an 11 mile run out to the bay. Speed matters to me but it's a winding creek so I can only go so fast. In a few spots I can open the throttle up but in most spots I need to slow down to take the turns.

If you have a lot of ground to cover and can run wide open, the extra is worth it - in my opinion.

I haven't bought a new boat in a long time but used to be manufacturers tested their boats with different hp outboards and could give you some idea of performance. I once bought a new Ranger Cherokee rated for a 115 and asked about the difference in performance between a 90 and a 115. The dealer looked it up and said the 90 should run about 42mph and the 115 should run about 44mph. There was a several hundred dollar difference in price between the two engines, which one do you think I bought? To top it off, after breakin, on glass smooth water, I saw 45mph on GPS!!! Wish I had that boat back.

Bob Stearns, a noted marine author, once posted extensive and multiple studies of the same boats tested with 3 motors (all rigged and optimized individually), but all his tests were of 3-cylinder and bigger motors - but IMHO the examples hold true.

In every case, using the example of a boat powered by a 90, 115 or 130, the middle to higher of the range OB motor was always the BEST for all around performance. It had better gas mileage and was only 2-3 MPH slower at most, then that max rated OB motor. Can be cheaper to purchase too!

My last boat before my current, was a 16' tin of max 60hp, but it was purchased with a 40hp. Long story short, but I swapped out my 40 for a friends 60 as his son almost killed himself :shock: on their boat, which was only rated for a 40hp. The max MPH was only 5 MPH faster, where due to running in saltwater rivers I could only run WOT on flat *** calm conditions anyway, never mind that your optimum fuel efficiency is around 4,200 RPMs for a 2-stroke and up to 4,800 RPMs for a 4-stroke. I did to help my friend and it did carry a load (like carrying 6 people aboard) much better, but I only did that a few times anyway per season.

In Stearn's testing, the mid-range OBs always had the best fuel economy, even if a mile or 2 slower cruise than the max HP motor.

Outboard Mfg sites will like have performance test info for each size motor. Assuming one of the test is a boat similar to yours, you can use that to see the difference in HP models.

It is pretty common for folks to complain about new boat "package deals" being underpowered. I bought my current boat new. It is rated for 60 HP max. It was a special boat show deal with a 40 HP. I paid extra to get the 50 HP and am very glad I did. I can cruise to my fishing sites at close to 30 mph with still plenty of room left on the throttle. Anyway, after reading the posts above, it looks like I made a good choice with the the mid-range option.

If you are ordering a new boat then I would say 100%, absolute certainly, get the max HP the hull permits. The only reason not to do so is if you plan on mounting a kicker motor.

This question reminds me of something a very wise friend of mine says to me from time to time, "A party never ends early from having too much beer".

Interesting topic I had pondered myself. For me fully loaded, fuel, gear w/typical amount of passengers, as long as I can get up on plane fairly easy, I dont care of im doing 25 or 70mph. My bassboat power days are long gone as is my hauling *** for no reason at all. Now Im a 1860 with a 90 horse. 41 mph is faster than I want to go anymore. I just hop from one fishing spot to another. If I were guaranteed to do 27mph with a 60 hp, I would do that. Naturally being a life long member of the CBC.. Cheap Bastards Club, my assumption is the smaller motors will be cheaper to maintain & to repair especially if it has to go to a shop.

I’m leaning towards max HP even tho it eats into my wife approved budget. I’d planned on an idrive 70# Minn Kota and Lowrance Elite 9 or 12 but may need to lower my standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts