How long before engine starts pumping water???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LUNDA12

Reaction score
I no this is the place to go for a correct answer. I have a 2-stroke 25 hp johnson, every time I start it it takes about 15 seconds maybe a little longer to start pumping water out is this normal. This is a new rig for me and maybe I am just paranoid, but I sure cant afford a new motor.

Lund A12

I agree, it seems a bit long. Try cleaning out the pee hole and making sure there is nothing obstructing flow. After that I think an impeller may be in order.

Mine takes the better part of 10 seconds.. and that's with a brand new impeller, and a freshly cleaned pee hole (had to blow it out after some bees tried to make a home in there :evil:)

Is this on a hose or in the water? Has the engine been previously overheated (with probable pump damage)? Is the engine overheating now?
If it's not overheating now then it really doesn't matter how long it takes for the pee tube to start. Another thing to remember here is that some model year engines had the tube coming straight out of the exhaust side cover and around the back of the cylinder head to the overboard indicator and others had the tube exiting the exhaust side cover and then up and over the cylinder block before hitting the overboard indicator. That difference alone would make several seconds difference. There are so many variables to your question that there cannot be one correct answer here. Best one I can think of is that if it isn't overheating then it is doing its job. Check it this Winter if that's the case.

Pappy said:
Is this on a hose or in the water? Has the engine been previously overheated (with probable pump damage)? Is the engine overheating now?
If it's not overheating now then it really doesn't matter how long it takes for the pee tube to start. Another thing to remember here is that some model year engines had the tube coming straight out of the exhaust side cover and around the back of the cylinder head to the overboard indicator and others had the tube exiting the exhaust side cover and then up and over the cylinder block before hitting the overboard indicator. That difference alone would make several seconds difference. There are so many variables to your question that there cannot be one correct answer here. Best one I can think of is that if it isn't overheating then it is doing its job. Check it this Winter if that's the case.

Seems long to me, neither of my motors (both early 80's johnson and yamaha built mariner) take anywhere close to that amount of time. However, pappy seems to know what he is talking about. Excellent answer pappy. I know in some forums you can give people's comments likes/points/thumbs ups or something of that nature for giving very educated answers, If I could (or if I can and knew how) I would give pappy a thumbs up for that one...

:D Thank you to everyone for your input. Special thanks to pappy for going in depth!!!

Lund-A12

I just got back from fishing and while I was out I did over heat the motor. i got it home and now it only runs with full throttle. And the pee hole seems to be slower , Can you help me out??? Stripers are starting to run!

Thanks everyone I'm sure the overheating has hurt my motor, I will confirm it though as soon as I can get my hands on a comp checker. I think I'm also going to have to get a manuel. Is there one any better than the other?? How difficult is it to pull the head?
Let me tell you guys what happened , I was out running at about 18 mph. The johnson 15 hp was running great all day.As i was coming back as I said at 18mph it started to bog then shut shut dowm, I saw a plume of steam and knew I got hot. I pulled the cover off and Yep hot! i rowed back to the dock loaded up went home strap on some muff and was able to only get it to start at full throttle. At first the pee hole looked weak, I got my cmpressor and blew out the pee hole and the intake, agian restarted it at full throttle and I have a better flow. I bought this almost a year ago. The guy I bought it from had a new carb kit and water pump kit installed. like i said it has been virtually trouble free. So there you have it . Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. Spin

I am sure you will see a cylinder down on compression and you will have to pull the head.

If your lucky it maybe a bad head gasket, which is cheap and easy vs a rebuild.

I've been told by my mechanic and have read on this internet that running your outboard more than just a few seconds without and water intake could damage the impeller.

So an outboard that has to run 10 to 15 seconds b4 you see water flow is a bad situation. If you don't get that flow after that time period it's too late to shut it down to prevent damage to the impeller.

Both my main engine (Johnson) and my kicker (merc) start showing water flow within a few seconds.

ditchen said:
I am sure you will see a cylinder down on compression and you will have to pull the head.

If your lucky it maybe a bad head gasket, which is cheap and easy vs a rebuild.

I checked the compression 60 on one 65 on the other . Pulled the head and no scoring on the cylinders. Whats next?? The guy I borrowed the tester from said that this is common with the johnsons. I took a straight edge across the head and looks flat! Game is starting now, I'll check back later Thanks Spin

Latest posts