FUEL LINE FITTING MARINER 40 hp 1986

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutman3000

Reaction score
Which fitting do i need to connect my gas line to the motor. I bought one from Wal_Mart but it says 88+. Im not sure it will work but I cant find any different ones specifically for my model.

Thanks,

J

https://www.firstchoicemarine.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=36359&SEName=attwood-marine-mercury-tank-fitting-clip-on-v-6-88-to-date-8890-6

This is the one I have. Will it work?

Pretty sure you need one like this:

L-7404-PB-3.jpg

Quackrstackr said:
Pretty sure you need one like this:

L-7404-PB-3.jpg

No its not that one the mechanic showed the one he used off of his tank. Heck I may have my year model wrong but its the two hole fitting. But the mechanics had one that was more squared off.

Quackrstackr said:
Well, the right year model makes a big difference. :lol:

The serial number on the plates are painted over, but i pulled the serial number off of the freeze plugs and a guy at Iboats told me it was an 86. So thats all I know really.

Troutman3000 said:
Quackrstackr said:
Well, the right year model makes a big difference. :lol:

The serial number on the plates are painted over, but i pulled the serial number off of the freeze plugs and a guy at Iboats told me it was an 86. So thats all I know really.

Here is a link to a table to look up the year of your mariner https://www.storesonline.com/site/573683/page/608047. I did a lot of searching and found the same table from several different websites, some were in different languages that is the one I saved. Mine is supposedly an 83 from the table you can see pics of mine on my build thread to compare and see if yours looks close to same era. Hint: pick up a standard Yamaha fitting at a local store I have a hunch it will work like a charm... (Look at your motor, specifically look for "made in japan" anywhere.) The worn out hose that came with my 40hp mariner from the previous owner had different fittings on each end. One fit on the tank and I'm pretty sure it was a merc fitting, the other fit on the motor. (I have seen three main standard fittings, merc, johnson/evinrude, and yami. I have a johnson and the two different fittings on the hose were different sizes than the johnson fitting. I presumed this was to make sure you connected the hose with the primer bulb facing the correct way. However it is probably more likely they were not smart enough to plan that and they had the merc parts on hand resulting in said added benefit.

You may already know this but here is a very brief jist of the history of Mariner to give you a better idea (disclaimer: based on memory of information read from a variety of verified and unverified sources, hopefully will help you with things to look at at least). To understand the story of Mariner you have to understand the story of Mercury, it all started with a man named kiekhofer, often you will hear people refer to older mercs as kiekhofer mercs, kinda like you would hear someone refer to a shelby mustang I guess is a decent way to explain it. kiekhofer is the man who built merc basically and the motors he designed are infamous and are thus known as kiekhofer mercs. In their day they were the best and were the premium brand of outboards. While merc remained the premium/luxury brand if you will as OMC gained a name for itself merc felt the pressure none-the-less. So kinda like lexus and toyota, GM and cadillac, or lincoln and ford, merc wanted to compete with OMC with a lower priced motor. Thus mariner was born, in a partnership between yamaha and merc. Best I can tell/remember the first mariners were merc designed/merc spec motors built by yamaha imported by merc and sold at lower price points. Over time merc and yamaha designs comingled in the mariner brand, usually with technology a little behind the namestake I guess to the point where its hard to tell if your going to need merc parts or yami parts, and what year parts you may actually need. However eventually someone dumped the other, I guess merc dumped yami, and mariners were built in the U.S. from then on, and where very similar to comparable mercs.

Thus why I say for a motor you believe to be an 86 give the yami fitting a shot. It was available locally for me and was just a couple bucks. Hope that gives you an idea to at least search off of even though its just a kinda basic/general/rough history. If you have a Mariner similar to my 40 it was supposedly well known for its light weight for being a 40hp and is supposed to be reliable from what I have read. Mine cranks right up every time and after getting it during the winter at a price it shouldn't have run at all for I have no hesitations running 30 miles down the ohio river to a fishing hole or pulling a tuber with it. Good luck!

My Mariner is a Yamaha made motor.
If I ever need parts I order though Yamaha,it's cheaper up here.
Like said above if your motor says made in Japan on it,most likely a Yamaha made motor.It will mess up your date of manufacture sometimes to.
I have a year sheet for Yamaha made Mariners somewheres on this computer.
Did you give the sin?

Latest posts