Throttle shift control box confusion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatherfire89

Reaction score
So I got my new cables hooked up to this control box. When I move the main lever one cable moves and when I move the smaller black lever the other cable moves (only about 1.25"). So is there some sort of electronic signal between the throttle under the hood of the motor and the control box? I dont understand how the motor will accelerate and shift if the main lever on the control box only moves one of the two cables coming out of the box.

Attachments

• box.JPG
    box.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 442
  • box2.JPG
    box2.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 442
I may be wrong as my control box is different than yours, but the small black lever you describe should be your fast idle lever. The cable it makes move is your throttle cable. This cable allows you to increase the idle speed while in neutral. If you have a 2 stroke this allows you to warm the motor up faster.

Now the other lever should move both cables if you move it through its entire range of motion. When you shift from neutral to forward you should see one cable move(the opposite cable that moves when you move the small black lever), as you continue to push the main lever forward if hooked up correctly the other cable will begin to move (the same cable which moves when you push up the small black lever). The same thing should happen if you pull the main lever back shifting into reverse, except the shift cable will move the opposite direction. The throttle cable should move the same direction as you pull the main lever back farther after shifting into reverse as it does when you push the lever forward after shifting into forward.

Play with it a little and it should make sense.

Latest posts