Untreated gasoline...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanMC

Reaction score
Hi, i have a question about gas that stays in the carbs and fuel tank...the fuel is about 5,6 weeks old and it is not treated with anything...how long before this gas goes flat/bad :?: ?...should i add treatment,run it on the ear muffs/garden hose for 5 minutes...will that be enough ?...you see ; i have been very busy preping the baby room (the wife is near the date to deliver our first baby =D> and on the weekend i just finished our deck (14'x16') and did not have time to go boating/fishing...i mostly use Shell Premium but the gas i did fill up with last time was ESSO (supreme). The outboards are 2010 Honda BF2 and 2011 Honda BF25...
Thank you,
Dan

Yeah I would treat it and then run it on the muffs. I don't like to let a 4-stroke outboard sit longer then a couple months with untreated gas in it. 2-strokes can sit a year with untreated gas and they will fire up and run but a 4-stroke can clog up in just a few months.

So today i treated the fuel i still have in the fuel tank for the Honda BF25 and run'ed on ear muffs/garden hose for a good 15,16 minutes and i hope it is enough so that the treated fuel got into the carbs and stuff.I used Lucas fuel treatment (1 oz/1 gall....if it weren't for the graduations on the Lucas bottle i would have been lost...also on the fuel tank...i don't know any of the gallon stuff...i sometimes "borrow" wifes measuring cup for baking :lol: ...till she says...how come it smells like gasoline #-o ,i'm purelly metric kinda guy :roll: .For the Honda BF2 i just added some Lucas fuel treatment to the build in fuel tank and run it for 15 min. or so...Now on the Lucas fuel treatment does not say for how long this treatment can last...any opinions.I'm sure i'll be using the gasoline before the year is over...i can allways run it in our Honda Pilot.
Thank you,
Dan :?:

I don't know much about the Lucas treatment, but I've been told (and thus tend to believe cause I haven't tried to prove anything different) that if you don't treat your gas when you pump it......you're wasting your time afterwards. Gas, (I've been told)....starts to go bad in a day.

Feel free to correct me if I've been told wrong. My wife always does. :mrgreen:

Fuel with Ethanol in it has a shelf life of 23 days. After that the water molecule will start to seperate. Thereby leaving water in your tank. I would treat it as soon as possible and I recommend disconnecting the fuel line from the carb and running it until it dies. (no fuel in the carb) I work on at least 10 a year that customers did not drain the fuel and now have a gummed up carb.)

After every fishing trip I always pull the boat up onto the trailer then pull the fuel line and let it idle until it dies.

ive always just added stabil on every fill up and never had a problem , main thing is running it out of the carb unless your using it daily in my opinion . Of course finding ethanol free gas is a better option but cant always be found around here .

Thank you guys. I may be wasting money but i allways buy premium grade gasoline. In 20+ years of driving i never had any fuel related issues with any vehicles so i hope same for outboards. I hate to mention big gas companies but right now it seems that Shell premium is a true high end gasoline. My other option is Esso premium.Even these two brands mentioned use Ethanol (in different procentage) in their regular and mid grade with the exeption of premium. I did treat the rest of the gas with Lucas Marine gas treatment and hope it will preserve the fuel but i will definetely make a point to treat my fuel right when i buy it so even if i won't be using it for a whille it won't go bad so soon. I do have a fuel water separator installed and i hope that it will help.Hope to go fishing really soon...right after the baby is born...in the next week or so =D> :) ...our first :D !
Thank you,
Dan :)

Premium gas will not do anything for you with 2 stroke engines. 87 octane is all that is needed. Stabil and one to 2 ounce of Seafoam per gallon will help protect your motor. Stabil great for the ethanol stabilization situation and Seafoam is great for keeping your motor from getting all coke/carboned up. One ounce of Seafoam per gallon if you don't do much trolling with your motor and 2 ounces of Seafoam per gallon of gas if you do a lot trolling with your motor. Just use the Stabil as directed on the can.

Oh, congrats.........soon to be Papa!!! :shock: :D

Latest posts