motor height question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Lariscy

Reaction score
I have a question about motor height, I know most of the time the anti cav plate should be even with the bottom of the boat but I have an '82 25hp rude and the water pump pick up is above the anti cav plate. So if I were to put it even with the bottom of the boat when on plane I wouldn't be getting any water to the pump so what's the proper height to set it at?

The bulk of the water on the non through-hub exhaust engines comes from behind the propeller and under the cav plate. Look at the front side of your exhaust exit (looks like a big trim tab) and you will see the pick up screen. No problem with height where the engine is currently located.

Pappy said:
The bulk of the water on the non through-hub exhaust engines comes from behind the propeller and under the cav plate. Look at the front side of your exhaust exit (looks like a big trim tab) and you will see the pick up screen. No problem with height where the engine is currently located.

10-4 musta missed that ill check it out and make plans to move it up some.

your cav plate can sit an inch or two above or below your hull sometimes and not affect performance, in fact mine performs better a little above my hull ..

Thanks for pointing that out Pappy it's not all that noticeable but sure enough there it is. I can push forward on my plans for a jackplate now having this information.

I ran an 76 40hp johnny non through hub exhaust on a CMC PT-130 trim unit. It was a little finicky with trimming up. They just do not like the height that a through hub exhaust will run. Water pressure gauge kept telling me to lower.

Barrel run, I notice it was a little sensitive on the water level for the pump to start pulling vs the through hub exhaust motor I running now.

On a side note my 25hp johnny without through hub exhaust did a little better pulling the water in.

All I can say is application may vary on the height your motor likes.

ditchen said:
I ran an 76 40hp johnny non through hub exhaust on a CMC PT-130 trim unit. It was a little finicky with trimming up. They just do not like the height that a through hub exhaust will run. Water pressure gauge kept telling me to lower.

Barrel run, I notice it was a little sensitive on the water level for the pump to start pulling vs the through hub exhaust motor I running now.

On a side note my 25hp johnny without through hub exhaust did a little better pulling the water in.

All I can say is application may vary on the height your motor likes.

She will run about 34 as it is so I may not even mess with it at all after what your telling me. My main thing is wanting to run shallow as possible not fast.

Latest posts