9.9hp Evrinrude not spitting water when started

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobcat_fisherman

Reaction score
I have a 1976 Evinrude outboard that I've been fixing up lately. I replaced the water pump impeller a few weeks ago but was not able to start the motor due to a leaky fuel bulb. I put on a new fuel bulb today and was able to start it up. I have water flowing to the motor using muffs but no water is coming out of the telltale. Help!

Here is a quick video I took of it. Sorry the video is sideways.

The copper tube looks to be seated good. Could the tube be plugged somewhere in the middle or only at the telltale outlet? I stuck a piece of wire up the telltale hole and cleaned it out as best as I could. Still no water is coming out.

Is there any possibility that the new impeller isn't spinning? Or a leaking water pump seal? I would think even if the seal was leaking I would still get some water flow through the tube.

are you sure you got the muffs on the pickup holes? they look awfully far rearward, tho im not real famillar with that motor. My pickup holes are towards the front side.

Are you sure that you got the drive pin "wedge" back in there between the drive shaft and the impeller. Otherwise, shaft spins and impeller kinda don't.
Tim

Ok, if im not mistaken, and i maybe, the pickup is on the side of the motor facing in the video, you have the hose on the opposite side, the water doesn't cross flow around the muffs, at least mine don't, the 2 cups is for when there is 2 pickups, it closes the opposite side off. and or just holds the things on.. I think on that motor, the drive shaft from the powerhead drops through the impeller.

The muffs will not push water up through the engine without you holding the muffs tight against the gearcase and even then may not. The muffs will work on either side of the gearcase to supply water to the pump. If there is a tell tale hose remove it where it connects onto the exhaust cover and check the fitting there to see if it is plugged. As has been mentioned you may have missed the drive pin for the pump impeller also.

Bugpac said:
the water muffs should push water thru the tell tale with out it even running.

I was wondering that myself. Do the muffs force water through the tell tale on all motors when they're not running?

earl60446 said:
Are you sure that you got the drive pin "wedge" back in there between the drive shaft and the impeller. Otherwise, shaft spins and impeller kinda don't.
Tim

Yep, the pin is seated in there good.

bobcat_fisherman said:
Bugpac said:
the water muffs should push water thru the tell tale with out it even running.

I was wondering that myself. Do the muffs force water through the tell tale on all motors when they're not running?

I'm pretty certain mine was running from the tell tale, From what Pappys saying, maybe not.

Bugpac, there are pick ups on both sides of the lower unit. I don't think it matter's which side the hose is on.

Bikeordie092, I wasn't sure if the impeller was installed in the correct direction or not but I read that it will flip into the right direction when the motor starts up.

If it has pickups on both sides then yes, doesn't matter. Try tonight to hold the muffs really tight with the garden hose and flush the system, you may have enough water leaking out it just wont flush it out. On my old engine i had to make a new bushing on the bottom off the copper tube, I wrapped it with electrical tape and pressed it down in the hole, it worked like a charm, It had leaked so badly the water pump could build enough pressure to get it to the powerhead. I still think with the hose hooked up you should see the pee hole running.

I have never been a fan of muffs. Go to your local walmart or other store and buy a cheap 55 gallon trash can, you can get one for around $10. Put the motor in that and fill it up. They work great on small motors like that. I usually just leave it hanging on my boat and place the trash can under the lower unit. I also have a 1" hole drilled in the bottom of the can and use a bilge plug in it. That makes it easier to drain. This will make sure you have a good water supply. If you still don't have any water coming out the pee hole something is wrong.

Latest posts