Brand new 2012 20hp 4stroke suzuki

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobeb

Reaction score
Well for the heck of it i was just running by internetoutboards.com website and they just came out with a brand new efi 15&20hp 4stroke outboard.The problem i see is it's based on the 9.9,and 15 platform.Has anyone heard anything about this motor?I know it's brand new but i know people probally already have one.

Maybe there is someone here who tested one.It does have a hair more cc's at 327 and it's (efi)at only 97lbs.The main thing is will it have enough or more power then it's cousins to be worth spending the extra money.If anyone has any info would love to hear about it.

That seems to be a lot of hp to get out of a 327cc motor. Most 20's are 350cc or better and almost all 25hp motors nowadays run 500cc plus.

Merc 25hp 4 stroke 526cc
Honda 25 552cc
Yamy 25hp 4 stroke 498cc
E-tec 25hp 2 stroke 577cc

That is twice the motor for only 5 more hp...... I wouldn't buy a suzi myself. There is no replacement for displacement :lol: But that is just my 2 cents

Wow i figured there would be some more talk about this new line of motors.No one has any thoughts on these motors.Not to many suzuki fans out here.I just thought it was neat to see a 20hp in a efi plus they knocked up the power a bit all in the same 97lb package.That seems pretty impressive.

If over the years no one noticed, running electronic fuel injection allows manufacturers to increase compression ratios, thereby getting more horse power. In the very old days (Just before they began to significantly increase cubic inches.) when the fuel wasn't unleaded corn water, horse power added up to three things: compression, carburetor and cam. Since electronic fuel injection (and the related sensors) allows for very precise spark and fuel control (much better than any carburetor with a distributor), the manufacturer's were able to increase compression significantly as well as using much more radical cam ratios (Can't remember if ratios is the right word.).

If Suzuki is using fuel injection, it is entirely within reason they can get significantly increased horsepower out of the same displacement motor. After all, Ford and Chevrolet are now manufacturing V-8 engines displacing significantly less than the very under powered 1980's 350 and 351 cubic inch engines. These little engines are producing over 200 horsepower and getting 20 miles to the gallon average (like the little 4.3L in my 2004 red Ford F150 truck).

That Tahatsu has been able to solve how to get fuel injection into the small cubic inch engines is a great thing for all of us. Let's hope the rest of the companies follow suit. Soon we'll have 4 cycle engines as light or lighter than the 2 cycles of the past with more horsepower and nobody will be missing the "good ole days."

For my own part, I'm so glad to see the junk vehicles I had to deal with in the eighties gone I just can't say. Underpowered, troublesome and lasted at most 100K miles or so, many of them, in spite of good maintenance. Nothing like the Ford Trucks I have now, 120K and running like new cars.

I am a big proponent of Suzuki outboards.

However I can add nothing of real value regarding the motor in question.

My stance is this; if it's a new Suzuki 4 stroke it's a heckuva good motor.

When I repower my boat with a new motor it will be a Suzuki.

scoobeb said:
Wow i figured there would be some more talk about this new line of motors.No one has any thoughts on these motors.Not to many suzuki fans out here.I just thought it was neat to see a 20hp in a efi plus they knocked up the power a bit all in the same 97lb package.That seems pretty impressive.
scoobeb......You are right about not too many Suzuki fans here....it seems that unless you want to chat Mercury or e-tech by Rude ...ok maybe Yamaha a little...,most other brands are not so "popular"...God help you if you wanna chat Honda...it's kinda odd because i'm sure a good percentage of people that can't digest Japanese made outboards...probably drive a Honda =D> or maybe a Buick :roll: .
Dan.

Fact is all newer outboards made by the big marine companies are well built. Each motor has there own little claim or nitch in the market. If you got the doe to buy a new motor you really can't go wrong if you stick with one of the big names basically. So it comes down to looks then, and man that E-tec blue looks good! :mrgreen:

I would have to take a guess that with the right mods my Johnson 15 would be well capable of producing 25hp on a dyno. This would include a very custom tuned expansion chamber, as well as porting and carb mods, IMO no reason 300-350 ccs cant produce 20 hp with EFI.

I know these little motors can produce this type of horse power, but the question becomes, for how long? And how reliable will they be? Race engines are not made to run for 20 years...... but I expect my new outboard to run that long if I bought one. And that is where having a larger motor to produce the same horsepower will outlast the smaller cc motor.

Sure you can squeeze 250hp out of a 4 cylinder engine but for how long, 30-40-50,000 miles? My 350 V8 will run 300,000 with it's eyes closed......... that is my point about displacement is all.

Well i hope someone gets one to let us know how good or bad they are.I do know that all the motors of today are pretty solid as long as taken care of.I guess my thing is will this 20hp perform as good as a merc,yamaha or tohatsu since the displacement is different.I would think being only 97lbs is a great start.Plus it's efi which should make it a breeze to start.

I have had a 25hp 4stroke merc before and it was a dog no matter what i did to it,but i got to say it started everytime on one pull and that was great.From what i can gather the merc 20hp/tohatsu(same motor except for a few features)seems to have the most power due to a better gear ratio.I'm sure it's not that big of a difference.

The thing that i can't get is how did they add efi and some more displecement to the motor and the weight never moved from the original 15hp of 97lbs.I'm trying to sell my motor and i may go out on the edge and buy the 20hp suzuki.Whats the worst that can happen,i won't like it and then i will sell it if that happens.I can honestly say i have never owned a suzuki but it seems a ton of people love them.

I ain't saying much because my old 48hp spl johnson is running good and it is all I need as long as it keeps running good, as beat up as it is. OTOH, I used to own a 10hp honda and it was a great motor as far as being the trolling motor on my 20 ft boat, never failed to start, ran great, great mpg but kinda heavy. Have no idea if it was truly 10hp as my 20ft boat only got up to 6mph at it full throttle. I have no fear of asian outboards and my next outboard may be one.
Tim

I am currently running a new Merc 20 4 stroke on a 1542 tracker and could not be happier so far. The Merc is pushing my boat 32 Mph which is considerbly faster than the old Evinrude 25 could do. Go for it and I think you will be pleased. The weight on that Suz. is way lighter than the 135lbs of the Merc.

I'm glad someone asked that about the speed he's geting with a 20hp 4stroke.That seems a bit fast unless he added a turbo button.I have a 1442 alumacraft jon boat with a 25hp 2stroke merc and i get close to 32mph on a calm slick day.Man maybe i need to go with the 20hp 4stroke merc.I know their strong motors but that is a power house at 32mph.

I guess anything is possible with the right setup.

Well lets just clarify a few things.........

The Merc 20hp 4 stroke has a 2.15:1 gearcase (the newer ones at least) and I believe they come with a 10 pitch prop. Take into account that the recommended RPM range is 5400-6100 and add all that up and you get a best case scenario at 6100rpm of about 24-25mph. And that is giving it a 9-10% slip ratio which is better than most props get.

In order to hit 32mph with that motor you would have to be turning a 13 pitch prop at 6100rpm with 7-9% slip....... pretty much impossible sorry

My guess is he mixed up his numbers and meant 23mph not 32mph :wink:

No mix up on my speed. This is actual GPS indicated speed with me @200, 50lbs of gear, a 50 lb dog, plus full tank of full (6 gals), 190lb hull weight, and 10inch factory prop. Yes I was amazed myself, like I said this is faster than my old 25 evinrude!! Add trolling motor, battery, 2 seats etc to the total weight. Guessing but probably 600lbs or so total. I actually have video posted on Facebook from my very first breakin outing back in March but have no idea how to share it on here. I might add I have been boating for over 40 years from 12 ft jon boats, to 21 ft 80 mph bassboats, to 24 ft cuddy cabins. Pretty familiar with boat performance numbers. This boat cruises comfortably at 25-26 mph at around 3/4 throttle.

On the Suzuki if it is fuel injected definitely go that route. I know with my new Merc the carb is the real weak link with this crappy gas we have now days and the carb is not covered under their 5 year warranty. $450 or so to replace!!

Latest posts