1983 johnson 15 hp gas milage?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babills

Reaction score
Well I just purchased a 1983 Johnson 15 hp short shaft for my lone star commander. I hope it will move the boat good with me and my son in it we are both a little hefty. I was wondering how long a 6 gal tank of gas will last while just fishing? a little trolling and stopping to take a few bluegills off their beds ect ect an average day of fishing.

I have a 1982 15hp johnson. I will be taking it out tomorrow for the 1st time on my 16' fisher marine jon boat. I'm only going for about an hour but i will let you know how it does on fuel.

babills said:
That will be great. enjoy your maiden voyage!!

6 gallons should last a couple days as long as your not going too far from the ramp. are any of your spots more than a couple miles from the ramp? if not it will last a few trips even if ya do a lil trolling. at least i think so....

My 1987 Nissan 15HP 2-stroke short shaft got 60 miles this weekend on a 6.3 gallon tank.
I tend to cover some distances and these numbers were at WOT.
Would probably troll F . . O . . R . . E . . V . . E . . R =D>

The formula I know is a 15 hp motor will use 1.5 gallons of fuel per hour at WOT. So 4 hours at WOT.

I just had my 1981 15hp out yesterday. We trolled for 3-4 hours with speeds anywhere from 1.2 to 1.8 mph (gps) in my 12' valco. It has had a recent carb and fuelpump rebuild. Real happy with this outboard. I doubt that i even used a gallon of fuel.

Pappy said:
Properly tuned and the engine warming up at idle as it should it will idle extremely slow. You should be very satisfied with the idle.

pappys right, that motor will idle till the lake dries up if tuned right. adjust your low speed needle while on the lake with motor warmed up and running to set it right, the needle sticks out of the front of the silencer. after adjusting low speed adjust your idle screw under the tiller on the side of your motor...