30 HP Johnson 56, $175 needs work, NOW with Pix!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper02

Reaction score
https://tulsa.craigslist.org/boa/3473272577.html

Always thought it would be pretty sweet to have a old vintage motor on the back of my tin, i asked about the 25hp Evinrude. Any reason to be weary about old old boat motors? The pics look really nice!

Added pics so they show on the First Post

This is the engine I am getting!

Johnson 1956 - 30 HP - $175

pic2df.jpg

pic3vf.jpg

pic4ir.jpg

pic1eb.jpg

Here is the reply he sent, he had a 30HP Johnson that he would let go for $200 but needs work. Just maybe more than I want to mess with or try to have someone mess with.

"The 25 is a re-build in process I have not completed. It would run, but it needs carb and ignition installed. I have the NOS parts to complete it. It is a show motor, so not an every day user.

I do have a manual start 30 horse Johnson, 1956 to be exact. It would be a good candidate for you to use. It has compression, so it WILL run, but like all of these old motors, it will need new ignition, new carb kit, and a new water pump to run reliably. Many need lower unit seal kits, but I do not know about the 30 horse.

The vintage motors are not hard to work on, but I have moved on in my hobbies and just don't want to build up a bunch of motors to make them runners, only to have them sit and not be used. That is why these aren't built up yet.

I would let you have the 30 horse motor for $200.00 and can guide you to the places to go to get the parts to rebuild them. I would even go so far as to sugget I would help you with the two things that you need special tools to accomplish. Then you can either use it as a total stock motor and be forced to use a vintage gas tank or I can show you how to convert the old motors so they run off of a normal gas tank, (the old tanks were two-line and pressurized).

Don't let me scare you, again, these arent hard to work on, but any you buy from me will likely need work. The one exception is the 18-horse motor I am selling. It should run basically as-is."

They look sweet, no doubt.
Also, the seller sounds honest, letting you know upfront these motors need work.
Another option is to find one in running condition.
One thing to keep in mind is most shops won't work on them, so it will become your new hobby or find a shade tree mechanic.
The Antique Outboard Forum is a very good resource for help and info.
JMO.

jasper

I got a buddy who is a gear head... cars that is, but likes to tinker I wonder for $200 how hard it would be to get something like that running.

If anyone has worked on these older Motors feel free to weigh in on work difficulty.

$200 seems awfully cheap to pass up on a 30HP if i dont have to invest a ton of money and it will last a good while, plus i just love that vintage motor look.

Talking to the Craigslist guy about what it would take to get the $200 motor up and running, he thinks as far as parts go looking less than $200.

So that means basically a $400 + My Time for a 30 HP old school vintage Johnson. That is VERY tempting.

"Parts should run under $200.00 for EVERYTHING needed, carb kit, water pump, lower unit seal kit, new coils, points, condensers, etc...

Here is a link to parts to do the ignition. If you got two coils and one tune up kit you would have everyhting you need t $73.00: https://www.nymarine.ca/ignition.htm
Then 378891 water pump impeller here for $25.00: https://www.nymarine.ca/impellers.htm
SK7 seal kit here for $35.00 https://www.nymarine.ca/sealkits.html
382053 carb kit herre for $25.00: https://www.nymarine.ca/carbkits.html

Over the years, Peter McDowell at North York Marine up in Canada has become kinda the premier go-to guy for me for parts. These are his links above, but you can check out other stuff, as well as resotrations at his website www.nymarine.ca PEter is a cool cat and I have enjoyed working with him on a few projects.

Points gap is .020, if I recall right. Spark plugs would be champion J4C or J6C as I recall, gapped at .035

The only awkward items that might require special tools, (which I have) are the shif-shaft bushing removal and reinstallation, and the flywheel pulling. YOu can google search those either for the special tools like I have, or there have been some clever folks who have designed their own tools to do these two things. Otherwise, it is totally sraight forward."

parts for the motors are about 130 bucks. you could go cheaper on auction sites. you would need: coils (2) plugs, tuneup set, water pump kit (or wait and drop the lu might only need the impeller and water tube seal) carb kit with float.
motor is pretty basic depends on your needs and mechanical skills. i just bought a 72 johnson, 20hp that needed work and paid 300.00. i am about to spend about 60 bucks on just minor items.
its your call. i would probably go out and look see. if the motor has good compression the rest can be fixed. at the worst is pulling the power head to replace the lower crank seal, or a pitted exhaust cover.
seller is correct about the fuel lines and tank. something to ponder about if you want to do the fuel pump conversion.
dino

One man's opinion, but . . . . unless you have the proper vintage boat to go with the vintage motor, seems kinda pointless. Does this mean my 1987 aluminum boat and motor (matched set) are both 25 years old this year and therefore vintage?? :?

I like to tinker with things and I know a few buddies that have mechanic skills but on cars.

I'm just afraid this project might be more than I can handle, I just have no idea what to expect. I can figure things out and enjoy working on things, but I guess since this is a new field I'm nervous.

But the price is right, I doubt I can get the same size of motor that currently runs for what might be estimated on this Johnson will cost. I hear so any positive things about these old classic motors too.

I guess if I fail at worst I can sell it and maybe someone else will know what there doing lol

as long as the compression is good and even the rest can be dealt with. with ebay, and boats.net (good supplier fast shipping!) and some time these motors will run so smooth. the only bad thing is some will need to run at 25-1 vs 50-1.
fuel economy isnt the best but the older models will idle down nicely when properly tuned. i noticed that motors pre 78 pull start really easy.
as stated earlier, figure about 150 bucks more or less for parts.
you will prob need:
coils (2) with leads
points/condensers
water pump
plugs (at least 2, but i would get 6 for spares)
ask the po if he could pressure test the lower unit as this is a little more work than working on the powerhead.
good luck! i would probably picked up one of those motors, love to tinker as well.
dino

Man I'm really leaning towards it now, met with my cuz who works/races cars and without even asking said

"Oh man we could knock that bad boy out, we could figure it out and get it running"

His main concern was that the carb. Was in good shape.

So dang after hearing that I'm really leaning torwards it now... If he hasn't already sold it.

So is $200 a fair price? I'll ask him about pressure test tomorrow.

Thanks again for the input!

Here is the reply on if he pressure tested it or not.

"I have not pressure-tested the lower unit. I usually will assume some fisherman has gotten fishing line up in the prop-shaft seal.... :)"

He did say earlier it has "compression so it will run" but im going to just go ahead and assume it leaks some, how hard is this to fix? I been reading online how to do the test, and people talking about replacing the seals etc.

I am thinking about offering $150 since i have to do some driving.

Compression test is where you pull off the spark plug and test to see how worn the cylinders and rings are if your good there its worth doing work because with good compression your not going to have hard starting issues and you know that the motor is gunna last

the carbs are really basic and everything is really easy to work on too!
can always find anything on ebay for really good deals on these motors

id say go for it

Sweet, im willing to take a gamble on this just trying to hear opinions that have more experience than i do on the subject.

I think I'll take a chance on it....

Your engine will absolutely need to run on 24:1. Do not let Bubba or Billy Bob the local mechanic tell you anything different! Johnson did not switch to 50:1 until 1964. Don't worry about plug fouling, it will be a non-issue.
If the lower unit does leak....9 times out of 10 it is the shift rod seal leaking. Not difficult to change if you have the tool. If not you can take the housing to a dealer and have them change out that seal for you. The rest is easy.
Make sure you put a new water pump in it as well as new ignition parts. You will probably need a carb kit as well. Those engines run like watches and pull like army tanks! Tons of low end power and respectable on top end as well.

Sweet! Thanks for the tip on the gas, I'm getting pretty to excited to get my motor. Glad to hear all the positive notes on these vintage motors.

As of now I'm planning to leave early Saturday morning to snag ill keep this thread updated.

Minor snag in the would be new motor to me, turns out its not a Johnson 56, 30 HP... Its a Johnson 57, 35 HP! and he's gonna sell it to me for the same price! Woot!

My boat is rated for only 30 HP, but im sure 5 more HP will be ok. Its a 16' MonArk

Plus he finally took some pics for me.

pic2df.jpg

pic3vf.jpg

pic4ir.jpg

pic1eb.jpg

Here's another one if you need a kicker . . .
https://denver.craigslist.org/boa/3375302813.html

. . . . and yet another . . .
https://austin-tx.inetgiant.com/automobiles/boats/1957-35-hp-evinrude-motor-9145903

Latest posts