Motor stand

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol sarge

Reaction score
Anyone built a stand for their outboard? I just bougt a 20hp Merc and it weighs about 80 lbs and I would like to get a stand for it when it is not on the boat. I have checked around and the cheap metal ones run about 80 bucks. Just wanted to see if anyone has bulit one from 2x4s. I need it to be portable so I can roll it out of the way when need be. Thanks.

This was so easy/cheap, you might want to consider it... but no wheels. I hang my 60 lb motor off it too- no problem, I'm sure it could take more.

Attachments

• stand 001 (480x640).jpg
    stand 001 (480x640).jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 1,129
I built one using a Harbor Freight roller caster "mover style" stand and some scrap 2x4s and 2x10. I ripped the moving stand in half and built an angled frame. it gets tipsy with a 30hp plus motor on it, but a 15-20hp is fine.

Sorry about the sideways photos.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    916.4 KB · Views: 1,107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,107
I built one out of steel.
If you have a welder ,you can pick up short iron really cheap from scrap yards.
Mine is sturdy, but heavy.

Here's mine.
Only thing I may change is the feet could be longer.
You can put a 55 gallon barrel under it to run your motor.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    738.1 KB · Views: 1,040
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    743 KB · Views: 1,040
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    622.7 KB · Views: 1,040
Here is what I came up with and it cost me under $50.

Attachments

• IMG_0001_03.JPG
    IMG_0001_03.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,036
  • IMG_0006_04.JPG
    IMG_0006_04.JPG
    832.8 KB · Views: 1,036
Built mine very similar in design to Sarge's. But I made it out of 1 5/8" .083 wall DOM 4130 Chrome-moly tubing I had left over from a race car project. Stuff was about $10 a foot at the time. The "transom" part is made out of 13 pieces of 1 1/2" .062 wall Mild steel square tubing (from Yamaha ATV crates), notched on the ends to fit around the tubing, all welded together (just stitch welded). Threw it together at the house one afternoon because I needed to hang a 225 HPDI Yamaha on it while I had to do a transom repair. The motor stand; with the 225 on it, was still very sturdy even with 550 lbs on it. The stand itself is about 70 lbs total.

I overbuilt it thinking I'd use it at work; and we do. I did pick up a set of steel wheels for it. 2 of them are casters and 2 are stationary. Makes it a LOT easier to work with when a customer brings in a motor without it being on a boat. Right now it's got a pair of Yamaha 25ESH short shaft twin carb 25's on it. One facing one way, the other facing the opposite direction (one on each side of the "transom" ). We use a 100 gal galv steel horse trough for a test tank and the stand fits right over the top of the trough. Can even put them in gear and throttle them a little, though I suggest not doing that on anything larger than 25 HP. Don't ask how we learned not to do it with a 60/40 jet.

Latest posts