Tohatsu motors?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spg

Reaction score
Looking to buy a new motor. Leaning towards the Tohatsu brand, same as Mercury. How well do these motors hold up? I usually put over 500 hours a year on my motor and need somethng that will hold up. Don't see many of these motors in my area. Use to be Johnsons were the only motors around now the Mercurys are the major motors with a few Hondas thrown in.

My 89 Johnson 9.9 finally is seeing it's last days and repair cost would be more than the motor is worth.

Local dealers are out of thier mind with the prices they are charging for new motors. A new Honda is going around $3500 (9.9) and Mercury and Hondas are in the same price range. One guy wanted $4200 for a 15 hp Mercury. I can get the Tohatsu brand motor for close to a $1000 less and get it delivered right to the house. Any one deal with these only line dealers for Tohatsu motors?

Used motors around my area are running way to high for me to justify their price. Just can't bring my self to buy a used motor thats 10-20 years old for a grand when I can add $900 and get a new one.

Im with you on that one. The repair prices are even to high for me. Boat mechanic was the deciding factor to buy a new motor. When he gave me a quote for setting the timing and adjusting the carbs with a attitude because I replaced the parts I sold the whole rig and bought a new one. I looked for used motors but thoes prices changed my mind as well. Just bought a new 2013 4HP Tohatsu and I run my motor year round running trot lines. After talking with Tohatsu owners and reading many reviews I bought it. Just got thru the break in period and other than a squelling or hissing sound she seems to be OK. The sound may just be the way the engine is supposed to sound IDK. It purrs like a kitten and makes good power for such a small engine. I now have 12 hours on it. Starts on the first pull warm or cold. I dont think their are but three motors on the market now Tohat, Yama and Honda in under 40HP Tohat makes Nissan, Merc and evin in the smaller motors. I did read that Tohat started out making Tanaka years ago and now are the second largest outboard builder in the world. One of the little Tanaka motors ran across the Atlantic non stop as a promotion sales flyer. Yamaha is the big boyz in my neck of the woods here in SC. Yama and Merc teamed up with the boat builders is why we see so many of them. I also read that Honda is going to build the larger four strokes for Tohat and Niss starting in 2014. Looks like its going to go four stroke or nothing soon.

You will be hard pressed to find any bad reviews on Tohatsu's. I have a 9.8 long shaft Nissan and have had no problems at all with it, knock on wood! I am about to buy a 20 hp Tohatsu or maybe the Suzuki only due to the weight difference.

I bought a 20hp 4 stroke in 2007 and it never let me down. i run it year round for fishing and hunting. the only time it didnt crank over was when my battery went weak in 15 degree weather, good thing it has a pull start! the lower unit has been banged up in rocks a few times, and the last one hit a solid boulder hard on a lake taking a short cut, i thought the lower unit was gone. it bent the prop shaft slightly, as it wobbles when i spin it with hand, but no vibrations no leaks. thats been 3 years ago, and the skag is still there, i dont know what this material is made of but its tuff .
the only thing i recommend you do as with any motors is after the break in , take the cover off and just look at the wire harness and make sure nothing is rubbing, chaffing. i had to put extra harness conduits where it makes tight turns. just preventive stuff, very pleased with the motor and the material that was built with.

Can't kill my 1987 Nissan NS15B so I'm getting a new 4-stroke anyway.

I have a 15hp tohatsu that seems to be a great motor. Its easy to work on and starts on the first pull. Its a 2003 4stroke

Make sure you have a Tohatsu dealer nearby first. I went through this last year and ended up buying a 20hp Merc online instead since the nearest Tohatsu dealer was 80 miles away yet we have a great local Merc dealer. Mercs can often be bought cheaper than the Tohatsu also due to Merc incentives. 2 weeks after buying mine and before I even used it I got a recall notice about some crankcase bolts not being torqued properly and it requires the dealer to pull the powerhead to check them. My local dealer had it done and back to me in 2 hours. They do not do Tohatsu warranty even though they are the same motors for the most part.

Found a dealer nearby. Walked in a bought one still in box. Even with the 6% state tax added on it was cheaper than the on line price. was going to get the 20 hp but for the boat I'm running I don't want to put the exra 40# of weight on the back end. Speed isn't really that important just realiablity. Did have a 25 Mercury that I used a few times on the boat but it was way to fast for me. It would go 32 mph and 3/4 throttle. Never did it open up all the way. Didnt like flying across the lake in a 14 semi at that speed.

Latest posts