'73 Mercury Merc 200 20hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murf-n-turf

Reaction score
I have a quick question here. I just purchased this motor as a "fixer upper" of sorts and as i was removing the lower unit I came across this hole. It was plugged with some sort of plastic piece and was epoxied in place.
photo 1.JPG
I can't find any info on what the hole is for or what part to order as a replacement. So if any of you guys could help me I would appreciate it! Thanks!
photo 2.JPG

That is an access hole to one of the bolts hiding the lower unit on. When the time comes to install a new impeller you'll be using it.

Thanks for the reply! I realize it's a access hole to remove the anode but what I'm trying to figure out is if I need to find a part that will plug the whole. The original plug came out in pieces and I can't find any replacement part.

Well I have the same motor as you, I bought it from the original owner and asked him about the hole and he said he never had a plug in it and it never caused a problem from not having a plug. Since I've owned it I too have had no issues that could be caused by that hole or it not being plugged.

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks again!! Just out of curiosity, how has your motor been? Have any reliability issues or major problems to look out for?

Nope, no problems. The only issue I've had is getting the height adjusted properly which is a whole other issue.

I owned a 1975 version of the same motor for a while and there was no plug in it either. I've also never seen anything in the parts diagram for plugging that hole either.

Thanks fellas! I really appreciate the insight. I got her running the other day on the first turn of the key! The water pump wasn't working though so I had to turn it off quick. That will need replaced and then I'll start the fun and lengthy process of building a side console for my Lonestar Commander and getting the steering and cables hooked up. I'll definitely take some pictures of the build and post them on the thread for conversions and builds. Those are my plans for the winter though because summer is for fishing! Thanks again!

Latest posts