1993 mercury 15hp hard starting in the cold -

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pweisbrod

Reaction score
I have this motor on my (new, small) duck boat - it has been getting harder and harder to start the first time (cold, 32deg) the colder it gets. It takes many (like 20 the other day, like 40 today) the more times i pull the recoil, eventually it does start, but it runs half a second or less, then dies - and eventually (i mean eventually) it starts and runs. there are no fuel leaks I can see inside, the bulb stays firm - I'm at a loss.

I replaced the plugs with the factory NGK BP8HS-15 - even though the old plugs were mint.

I am not sure where to go from here, are there any manuals with starting information? Anyone own a same design motor that can help?

Thanks in advance

Paul

First guess would be that your primer/choke isn't working properly due to a busted diaphragm. Second guess is you're not using the choke/primer, and all that pulling is eventually warming the engine enough that it doesn't need the choke to start. :lol:

Latest posts