Motor Question - Honda BF 25

Have a question about your motor? All motor talk and questions go here.
Kustrud

Post by Kustrud »

I currently have a 1996 Evinrude 25 HP, I am wanting something with 3 cyl and stumbled across this Honda. Honda BF 25 3 cyl four stroke. Any opinions? Seems ya cant really beat a Honda at much....

Clifford_Akov

Post by Clifford_Akov »

I am running a Honda 25 BF short shaft 1994 model, went out last week and it started with first pull 8) . Mine has been great, only minor tune ups and a new impeller a few years back. It sees mainly salt/brackish water use. It is a bit heavy, so I have to move my gas and battery forward in the boat. It is a tiller.

Hope yours is as good, if you get it.
Regards
"Yola Mia", 1994 Alumacraft V-14, 25 Honda 4-stroke outboard

Kustrud

Post by Kustrud »

Appreciate the feedback, how you think power-wise this will compare to my 1996 Evinrude 25 two-stroke? Would it be a worthy upgrade?

TNtroller

Post by TNtroller »

Look at NADA in the OB section and you can get some "reasonable estimates" of the weights of the 2 motors. Since Honda's are on the heavy side, the 2s will beat 4s on several fronts, but a 4s can't be beat for being dependable, quiet and fuel efficient. Depends on what you what on your boat.

Clifford_Akov

Post by Clifford_Akov »

4 stroke much quieter, no fumes, very efficient - all day on 3-4 gals of gas, don't know how it would compare. Good Luck.
"Yola Mia", 1994 Alumacraft V-14, 25 Honda 4-stroke outboard

turbotodd

Post by turbotodd »

Pretty good motor. Heavy, and therefore kind of hard to tilt it, but good motors. Slower as well so don't expect to be beating any of the 2 stroke 3 cylinder boats with it. The weight is only a big deal if you are tilting it a lot, say, on flooded timber or shallow waters. My yamaha is also heavy and hard to tilt but I've gotten used to it. Or more specifically I have adapted to it.

Kustrud

Post by Kustrud »

Im more-so looking for comparison to my 25HP TWO-Cylinder two-stroke. It would just seem, especially with a load, the Honda would do much better.......right?

turbotodd

Post by turbotodd »

Maybe. Many who upgrade from 2 stroke to 4 stroke don't care for the 4 stroke's power characteristics. But many also forget to think about how the differences relate to the prop. Propping on a 2 stroke leaves some leeway to miss the tune up a little, where a 4 stroke is absolutely critical to the right prop.

The worst part for most is tilting a manual tilt motor. Them old 2 strokes were pretty easy to tilt. The 4 strokes aren't nearly as easy; part of it is the weight difference and the rest of it is WHERE the weight is placed. 4 stroke motor's going to have most of the weight more toward the back of the motor, which makes it a little harder to tilt. PT&T is awesome on a 4 stroke, but it comes at a price.