Hello all!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModelK

Reaction score
Hello all,

As my username say's I just picked up what "I" think is an Alumacraft mid 50's Model K. Everything I have read and the pictures I have seen seem like this is what it is.

Now on to the attended purpose of my post, the motor......The ID plate is worn out, I can see some numbers 217 ???5?0.

On the top plate it say Tecumseh? I think this is an older Sear outboard?

Where can I get parts, if at all? The valve under the gas tank is nasty and bad. I can't find anything locally that will be a replacement. I don't really need it, I'm going to hook the external tank up, but would be nice to have fixed and working right.

Thanks all

Attachments

• IMG_0779.JPG
    IMG_0779.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_0785.JPG
    IMG_0785.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_0784.JPG
    IMG_0784.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_0783.JPG
    IMG_0783.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 515
Looks like a Ted Williams 7.5 or 5.5 hp made by Eska. You can find parts at https://www.boatsportandtackle.com/

Nice to have a boat/motor combo of the same year!
Looks a lot like my Clinton and SeaKing, and yes...Eska as well. I have not started rebuild/research on mine, yet. Probably water cooled exhaust, so check for water pump/impeller. Help me out, guys...West Bend motor? Or am I thinking backwards? I do that sometimes :)

Try taking a piece of white paper and place it over the numbers. Then rub it with the edge of a pencil lead. You may get a read on the other numbers.

Pappy said:
The Alumacraft model K is a 16' hull. Is this what you have?
the photo in my sig is of my model K.
Here's a couple more.........

Yes sir, That is what I have. Just not as shine and pretty as yours....lol! When I measured it, it was at 15'10" or so....

Paid $300 for the boat, trailer, 17# trust trolling motor and the old motor.

Attachments

• IMG_0772.JPG
    IMG_0772.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_0768.JPG
    IMG_0768.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_0775.JPG
    IMG_0775.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 487
Try to resist the urge to install all kinds of decks and drill holes all over the boat! That is a great classic hull. Rare if it is truly in the 50's era.
Phosphoric acid wash the boat to get all the crud off of it. Start from the bottom and work up. Rinse and repeat if necessary.
No sanding necessary. Take regular old Brillo style soap pads and work the oxidation off the hull, inside and out. You will feel it come off and get real slick in just a few passes. From the "shiny" part down that is all that has been done to mine. Not a single sheet of sandpaper was used anywhere to get the shine on it.
Just these two processes make the boat look amazingly good.

ModelK
I'd say Ya done good!!
3 bills for that boat and trailer sounds great.
I'm not a fan of those air cooled Eska's, but that's just Me.
The motor is air cooled but the lower leg section is water
cooled so there is a water pump to contend with.
If it's not pumping the lower seal on the motor will go bad.
So make sure You check it.
My 10yr old daughter picked up a Clinton Chief 5hp [same as an eska]
at a garage sale.
So I'm gonna have to work on it.
Good Luck with Your project.

Steve A W

Latest posts