old Evinrude

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdsnest4ever

Reaction score
I bought an old Arkansas Traveler boat with an Evinrude 6 hp motor a couple of years ago. I had all intentions of fixing it up similar to some that I'd seen on you tube, but I decided to deal with the motor first. I bought this rig at an estate sale and they did not have an operator's manual for the motor. Now for the humor, I've never owned a boat and motor, and have no idea how to operate the engine. Number 1, I don't know the gas/oil ratio. All I can find is a nearly invisible mark that shows a gas pump, and says 100/1. I can probably figure that one out per a 5 gal. tank, but the controls on the tiller are worn and I can't read them. I've been to the only boat places in my area to find out, one says only his mech. knows and he's out sick, and the other( an Evinrude Dealer) seems to be extremely rich, for he's never seems to be open when I'm in that area. I tried e-bay and amazon to find a book, but apparently they are a coveted item. I need some help y'all. Do any of you have any information that I can use? If it helps, the motor is an e6rrcs model made in Belgium,........according to the plate on the side of the shaft. I thank you all very much, Gary Anderson..(Levelwindluver66)

Garry
Do not run 100/1, It was a mistake from the factory.
I believe they call it "Planned Obsolescence" :twisted:
It should be 50/1.
Are You talking about the band next to the throttle handle?
Here's a link to Marinengine.com, They have parts breakdowns
for motors from 1955 on up.
https://www.marineengine.com/
You will have to search for Your motor, start about 1965 or 66.
Double check that model number and get back to Us.
Here's a website that might help You get it going;
https://precisionservoutboard.com/about/arts-five-point-plan/

Steve A W

I did make a mistake on the engine numbers. It was supposed to be E6RCCS. HEY! At least I admitted to being not too intelligent when it comes to technology. That's why I came to you folks. I do appreciate all the information that was relayed to me, and as soon as I can find out if the motor is operable, then I can start creating my own personalized fishing rig. Again, many thanks to all of you.

birdsnest4ever said:
I did make a mistake on the engine numbers. It was supposed to be E6RCCS.
Yes, it is a 1988 motor, where E = Evinrude, 8 = horsepower, R = rope start, and the two Cs are 8s (see below) and the last 'S' was a model year change.

Read INTRODUCES as the numbers 1 thru 9, the 0 for that last S. As shown, the letter C is the 8th letter in that word sequence, so it corresponds to a 1988 vintage OB.

Cliff, I took a look at the link you sent, and it is a "Godsend"! I found things in there that I can definitely use as well as need. Thank you so much, and have a wonderful day.

Latest posts