8 HP Johnson hood won't close

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The10Man

Reaction score
I recently picked up really cheap 2 stroke 1999 8 HP Johnson. Cosmetically, the motor isn't in good shape. However, after taking the carb apart and cleaning it the motor fired right up.

One small issue still remains, and that is that the hood won't close and stay securely closed. When I looked at the motor before buying it I had a hard time taking the cowl off. The hood secures in the back of the motor.

Has anyone had and issues with the latch in the back of this motor or a similar motor? Any recommendations? The replacement latch is $20 bucks and I'll buy it if necessary but would prefer to try and fix it, however I haven't figured out how thus far.

I've attached a few pictures of it helps. Thanks!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443056145.230063.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443056158.587340.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443056166.955821.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443056180.463543.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443056196.937700.jpg

Johnny said:
sorry I can't shed much light on your issue . . .

Just wondering where you are in Orlando?
LOL not near Mike Kennedy's place are ya ?

After you get it all adjusted/repaired, it will look jam up
with a new paint job and some new decals.
And a new impeller :)

Johnny, I'm in Maitland.

I'm not sure who Mike Kennedy is or what part of town he's in. Is he someone I should know, or stay away from?

ggoldy, I'm definitely going be putting in a new impeller. Probably going to run some seafoam through it for good measure.

Just sort of kidding on you 10man..... Mike Kennedy is the guy not far from you
in Apopka that has the exotic animal rescue ranch where that 8 foot king cobra
escaped from. He also stars on the TV show "airplane repo".
And yes, the cobra is still loose amongst us !!!

Hope you get your motor fixed as painless as possible !! Nice weather is upon us.
My boating area is the Butler Chain and other West Orange lakes.

Haha.....yeah I'm not too close to him. However, a guy down the road from me got bit by a venomous viper today.

https://m.wesh.com/news/winter-park-man-bitten-by-venomous-snake/35470202?utm_campaign=WESH%202%20News&utm_medium=FBPAGE&utm_source=Social

I don't just understand the hobby/infatuation of keeping venomous snakes in a home. Seems like every time I turn around there's another story about a dangerous, non-native snake on the loose or causing harm. I feel like 99% of the people that have these snakes live in Florida.

Anyhow, I appreciate the well wishes on the motor.

I'm mostly on the Winter Park chain but hope to venture out to the Butler chain one of these days.

Back in the 70's, there was a Airman at K.I. Sawyer A.F.B. up here that got bit by his pet Indian Cobra. Only because everything worked out perfectly, he lived. Long story with that one.

Latest posts