65 ev 6hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dstrickland

Reaction score
Please someone tell me that the bolts that hold the propeller housing own are not right-handed threads before I tear something up. Done everything in the world to get him to break loose and they want I guess I hammers next

Try a 'heat hammer' (torch) before you do anything. SS locks on good, specially when mounted in aluminum housings. Also try a 50/50 mix of acetone and auto transmission fluid as a thread penetrant, as it is BETTER than any commercial mix you can buy ...

Don't give up ... a few heat/cold sessions will do it. Once put a torch to one and through it (small OB) into a bait freezer. The thermal shock did the trick and the SS nuts came off the SS studs with zero damage.

What are you trying to do? Water pump? Water in the gearcase? Nice to know because "propeller housing" isn't the normal term we hear around here.
And....you are correct. The 6hp engine is extremely hard to kill. One of the most reliable engines out there if taken care of.

Was out yesterday and the motor just took off revving and boat slowed down. Did that a couple times but as long as rpms were low i limped it back in. I was thinking gears, bushings or spun prop. When i removed prop there was a wad of line wrapped around shaft. Hoping thats what it was causing it.

Basically I was running pretty close to full throttle and the motor kinda kicked up and started revving and the boat started slowing down, I backed off the throttle and it was running fine, I throttle up a little and it started doing it again. I was looking back when it happened this time, motor kicked up like I had hit something. The engine itself never missed a beat. I kept going at prob half throttle and I made it back to launch. After a few minutes I got back in and was gonna load onto trailer, so I made a little run up the river at full throttle and it never done it again, so I loaded and pulled out of water. The prop was not damaged and I could not see anything out of the ordinary. When I got home I was thinking something in the gears so I drained the oil from lower unit, it was fine, no water. I was attempting to remove the "prop housing", the bottom housing the hold the gears. Lol Could not get the bolts out, that's when I pulled the prop off and found the line wrapped around the shaft. The prop doesn't look like it has a pressed in hub after I cleaned it up, I am not totally incompetent at mechanics , with that said I can't see how it would spin with that shear pin going thru everything unless something on the inside was spinning loose. Here are pictures of what I am seeing. Keep in mind I never noticed what the parts behind the prop looked like before this happened so I can't find any differences in what it looks like now. Hope this made some sense.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,160
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,160
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,159
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,159
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,159
After some research I do not have a hub to spin. Lol. But I have noticed this, my motor does not have the power to plane out my boat unless I have the battery and fuel tank up front to balance it out and the water is glass smooth. So when the boat does get pretty close to planing out I can hear what sounds like the prop breaking the surface of the water, at which point I throttle back some. I was reading about cavitation and that sounds like what may have happened. I had the boat pretty balanced out and the water was smooth and I was making better speed than normal. Since I can only make prob 10mph or so I can tell when I am going faster by looking at the rooster tail I am making, and I had a good one going which is not normal. I have checked the driveline in fwd and rev, when I turn flywheel everything moves in proper direction with no out of ordinary slack. So does all that make sense as what might have happened?

Your propeller appears to be an aftermarket propeller. OEM props did have a hub in them.
Since you have no water in the gearcase (Prop housing to you) and apparently did not notice any metal chunks in the oil you drained out you are good to go in that area.
Place as much weight forward as you can and see what happens.
There is a difference between cavitation and ventilation. What happened to you when the bow of the boat is starting to break over and plane off is ventilation.
Take a couple photos of your engine on the back of the boat. Take them from the side and have the camera down low, about even with the bottom of the boat.

Here are pictures to as where the motor sits. I have it trimmed all the way down to try and help get the nose down. Since I obviously have not tore anything up I believe the answer is just to go a little slower. But I was all excited about breaking the 10mph barrier. Lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,107
From the looks of it the boat should plane off. Start a search for the correct OEM propeller for your engine. Should be a million of them out there.
What numbers are on the propeller. Wondering if that prop was for an older 7 1/2hp or something.
What is your weight and how much left do you have that you can transfer to the bow area?

One place to search is www.aomci.org then go to the ask a member section or the classifieds and put in a want ad.

The boat it's self is very heavy, takes all I got to pick up the back of it without a motor. Not sure the make of the boat but it's 14ft with 3 benches not including the on attached to the bow. The reinforcing ribs are spaced about half the distance normal boats are. Extremely heavy duty. Usually it's me 200lbs, the motor and trolling motor in back, fuel tank in middle and battery as far forward as I can. I am prob expecting too much out of it, I'm fine with the speed I go, hell I'm not skiing. Gonna get more oil for the GEAR BOX and take it back out Tuesday. Just glad I didn't find broken parts hanging off the back of it. Thanks for the input. Gonna check into another prop also, this one is pitted pretty good so I will just keep it as a spare.

Think you might wanna try to get an oem prop. Should help but a heavy boat like that can't expect a miracle