Help with troubleshooting 1998 merc 4hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 20022

Reaction score
Just got her for cheap. Took it home and got her cleaned up. The PO told me she flooded the last time he had it out. Same thing it's happening now. I'm thinking the float level is too high or the fuel pump? Not sure tho. Any thoughts and advice is appreciated.

Cool i took the carb apart to clean and rebuild it. It actually looked really good. There's a fuel pump on the side that has a diaphragm that needs to be replaced.
I wonder if I can rig up an electric fuel pump so I won't have to rely on this thin rubber diaphragm.
The plan is to use this for my bass raider now and when I find my semi- v I'll use it on it.

After looking online for a manual. I found a site where someone posted the fuel float height setting. I went back and looked at mine and it was way too high. So I set it to the recommended setting. I'll try to fire it up again in a few.

Not many motor guys on here huh?

You really don't want an electric fuel pump. If you were to have a fuel line failure the pump will keep pumping until everything in the tank is allover the floor and could spark a fire.

Got it! The float was set wrong... Thing purrs like a kitten. Can't wait to give it a run. Thanks guys. The PO had the impeller carb and spark plug changed last summer. It has a very nice jet of water coming out of the tail. This motor spent its time on the back of a sail boat as a kicker. Little to no use. Little sun burned though, so I'll n need to clear the cowl and put on new badges. Way to cool for $90.

Nice I pickup a engine and the guy said it would not run for anything I took it home changed the plugs and put the right oil in it and it purrs like a kitten come to find out after talking to the guy he was running the wrong 2stroke oil and the wrong amount that's why it ran like crap some times a little research and some know how can save alot of money

Yep i still need to by a couple fuel pump diaphragms and gaskets to get it perfect but I'm happy.
Edit word change

Latest posts