Help..

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beagler1

Reaction score
This don't look right. I think the space between the transom and motor bracket is wrong!

I think it needed a jackplate and this is what they did to make up for it.

It IS THROUGH BOLTED.

Thoughts.

Btw new boat from dealer. They installed motor.
8107534e8f50d30102f7251067efb604.jpg

2955987744fae604ada53d96d3293819.jpg

fbb87f757782dd179be4e553e11e8e85.jpg

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom

At least they could have used a piece of treated lumber to take up the space... :roll:

And there is no wood on the outside of the transom for the clamp brackets to ride on. Would deaden the vibration and sound from the engine through the boat. Same on the inside for the clamp screws.
Didn't even use fender washers on the thru-bolts for added clamp area.
Clamp pucks are not fully supported by anything!

Mounting the motor this way makes the bracket more prone to breakage. There is more leverage on the twisting force that can weaken the bracket. You may think all is well and have no problems and then all of a sudden your bracket is broken.

Sinkingfast said:
At least they could have used a piece of treated lumber to take up the space... :roll:
Never use Treated Wood on an aluminum boat.
A jack plate or motor raiser would be good. Is the anti-cavitation plate even with the bottom of the hull?

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Sinkingfast said:
A jack plate or motor raiser would be good. Is the anti-cavitation plate even with the bottom of the hull?
Sarcasm much?

I'd be taking that boat right back up to the dealer.

Looks like a long shaft motor on a short shaft hull and rather than build up the transom they cheated. Hard to believe that an authorized dealership would do work like this....OR...do we have the whole story?
Save your pictures for court...this install is a crime in sooooo many ways. In addition to the motor mount that trailer is totally mismatched to the hull: too wide by maybe two feet. You might take it by a water patrol guy for a "legal" opinion just to strengthen your claim at the dealership. I would NOT put this in the water.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Sinkingfast said:

I ment to add rusty sheet rock screws..ya jk..

When I bought my Grizzly 1448, I went to bass pro to look at how Tracker was mounting motors on the Grizzly hulls, (I bought my hull and motor seperately), and this is exactly how they do it.

Then again, they recommended a 20" shaft motor on my hull with a 17" transom and when I called to ask if adding a jackplate would void my warranty, they asked "why would you want a jackplate?"

It's all about quantity now days...get em out the door...

Edit to add picture...
c861bde9275876d4a5553cf373af2f80.jpg

Mounted by Tracker Marine
2015 Tracker Grizzly 1448 MVX
1996 Evinrude 25hp 3 cylinder looper

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Sinkingfast said:

Yes

momule said:
Looks like a long shaft motor on a short shaft hull and rather than build up the transom they cheated.

More space in the pic than would be between my size 12 and someone's arse if it was returned to me this way. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason for that embarrassment.

I took it to Miller Boats in Ocala Fl.
I talked to the owner Jeff Miller whom i know.

He assured me it was fine.

beagler1 said:
I took it to Miller Boats in Ocala Fl.
I talked to the owner Jeff Miller whom i know.

You can now say you know a liar.

momule said:
In addition to the motor mount that trailer is totally mismatched to the hull: too wide by maybe two feet. You might take it by a water patrol guy for a "legal" opinion just to strengthen your claim at the dealership. I would NOT put this in the water.

Can you explain why the trailer being wider than necessary would be a safety issue? If anything, I would think it should track better than a narrower one...

fl.graderman said:
When I bought my Grizzly 1448, I went to bass pro to look at how Tracker was mounting motors on the Grizzly hulls, (I bought my hull and motor seperately), and this is exactly how they do it.

Then again, they recommended a 20" shaft motor on my hull with a 17" transom and when I called to ask if adding a jackplate would void my warranty, they asked "why would you want a jackplate?"

It's all about quantity now days...get em out the door...

Edit to add picture...
c861bde9275876d4a5553cf373af2f80.jpg

Mounted by Tracker Marine

Ok i font feel bad that im not the only one!

fl.graderman said:
momule said:
In addition to the motor mount that trailer is totally mismatched to the hull: too wide by maybe two feet. You might take it by a water patrol guy for a "legal" opinion just to strengthen your claim at the dealership. I would NOT put this in the water.

Can you explain why the trailer being wider than necessary would be a safety issue? If anything, I would think it should track better than a narrower one...

I didn't say that the too wide trailer was a safety issue. But it indicates further shoddy boating practices. If the dealer sold the boat and trailer like that what he was doing was putting junk together that he had laying around and apparently pushing it off on a newbie that doesn't know better.

beagler1 said:

"Fine" and "Correct" are two different things.

Fine-Satisfactory; acceptable

Correct-To set or make true, accurate, or right; remove the errors or faults from

While he says it's "fine", it obviously ain't "correct".

Latest posts