Which hour/RPM meter for a new Merc 20 HP?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaisyCutter

Reaction score
I ordered a new Merc 20 HP four stroke outboard, and I'm looking for suggestions on a hour meter, ideally one that reads RPM too.

My dirtbike has one, and I've come to appreciate it a lot. Pic below.

The new outboard is a 2 cylinder, tiller model, with power tilt & electric start.

Are there any "preferred" brands/models for an hour meter? I don't want an unreliable one. I do want a small and simple one.

Attachments

• IMG_20170116_211613.jpg
    IMG_20170116_211613.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 688
I have one for my 1994 Johnson 50/35 jet similar to what you have on your dirtbike. Got it from Amazon. There are a bunch of different ones on there but I picked the one with the best reviews. Has been working great for the 2-3 years it's been on my boat. I even added about 6' of wire to it so I could extend it and mount it up next to my control box. No issues so far.

I picked up one from Hardline on Amazon. Works great. I think it was about $20.

Attachments

• 20170117_182235.jpg
    20170117_182235.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 645
I have a Hardline one as well but it doesn't show RPM's accurately, usually about 2x's what the OEM does, but I bought it for the hour meter, not the tach.

TNtroller said:
I have a Hardline one as well but it doesn't show RPM's accurately, usually about 2x's what the OEM does, but I bought it for the hour meter, not the tach.

I don't have a Hardline, but with mine you need to mess with the settings to set it to the appropriate spark fire rate for the engine it is on.

BigTerp said:
TNtroller said:

I don't have a Hardline, but with mine you need to mess with the settings to set it to the appropriate spark fire rate for the engine it is on.

Tried every setting possible, hours online looking for solution, said THWI as the primary purpose is hour meter. I run the big motor at idle during the summer trolling for crappie, so the need for hour meter.

The screen name came from a reference to the bombs the Air Force was dropping in Afghanistan years back. I worked at an aerospace company then, and whenever we had an ugly problem it was common for someone to say, "Eh, just drop a daisycutter on it".

I started using the phrase outside work, then my moto buddies picked up on it, and it became my name. So I use it as a screen name too.

Latest posts