Powerhead swap

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckethead

Reaction score
Will a powerhead from a 1965 50 hp Mercury work on a 1983 50 hp Mercury? The shaft and splines match and will connect. I was told by a local outboard mechanic that it will work if the shaft and splines match. Does anyone know of any other reason why it won't work? I know Mercury made a lot of design changes during that 18 years but I'm just wondering if they can swap. Any input would be great, thanks.

Another step in that process is the powerhead base gasket. Take a look at both years and see if the base gaskets match.
You will then have ignition to contend with. Bosses on the powerhead for electronic ignition will probably NOT be on the early p'head.
Linkage for throttle, shift, and timing may also be different. Differences in porting and carburetion. Lots for you to take a look at and I doubt you will get a one-stop shopping answer here.

Thanks for the reply Pappy. That's the type of answer I want, not only for me but you know there's someone else in the network that's thinking of the same thing. Since my donor motor was involved in a fire I'm going to take the powerhead off anyway. Even if I can't use it someone can.

Latest posts