Weird stalling issues E150TRLCNM

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyatt

Reaction score
So heres the deal.....Took it to the lake for the first time since winterizing Saturday and she wouldn't stay running long enough to get the boat off the trailer. Almost felt like it was missing. I winched it back up and parked it. Cranked the motor while out of the water (yes, i know) and it idled perfectly for about 5 seconds before i shut it down. Backed it back into the water and cranked it up and the same issue occurred, felt weak and wouldnt idle. I took the boat back home and put the muffs on it and she cranked and ran perfectly. I ran the motor up to 3k rpms and she didnt skip a beat. Why would it not run correctly when the motor was in the water but would when on muffs?? Im baffled. Motor is a 1982 Evinrude 150.

First thing this Sunday morning, i ran the motor on muffs in the driveway for approximately 20 minutes and had zero issues at all. I ran it at different rpms in all gears and had no issues whatsoever. I immediately took it back to the lake, backed it in the water and she would not idle properly once submerged and immediately die when put in gear. I brought it back home, threw the muffs on and zero issues.....

Dont know if this will help or not or even know if it matters but here are a couple things ive done to the motor recently. New spark plugs, installed hotfoot with new throttle cable (seems to be setup correctly from playing with adjustments in the driveway), new impeller kit with housing(strong stream), new spring/nut/washer on bendix gear, and replaced fuel line on lower carburetor.

Thanks in advance for any help!

First off, check your idle RPM in the water. On the hose with very little back pressure the engine will naturally have a higher idle. You may need to raise it. Since you installed a hotfoot you may have made a change and not realized it. Book calls for 650 in gear but with a typical 22-24" prop you may need to be up around 750 or so.
Second, did you change spark plug brands? NGK instead of Champion? Makes a difference in some engines. They were designed around the Champion spark plug.
Third, you may have a carb issue which the running on the hose may be masking. Very to easy to run and not stall on the hose.

Thanks Pappy! I never did check RPM in the water since i couldnt keep it idled. I could give it a little throttle and keep it going but felt very rough. I did stick with Champion spark plugs. I tested spark with an inline tester and all was well. I was letting the motor warm up to run compression tests afterwards and it spit a spark plug on me with the sleeve attached. Makes me wonder if that could have been part of my issue.

Latest posts