35 Vs 40 hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejbommer

Reaction score
I have a Alumacraft MV 1648 NCS

I am currently using a 15 hp mercury and would like to be able to push it a little harder.

The boat is rated for 35 hp, but it seems like no one offer a 35 hp motor any more. They jump from 25 to 40. If I am going to upgrade, I see no reason not to max out.

Any opinion of what happens if I go to 40. Will I have issues with the DNR.

Not sure about the DNR issue. I have a 35hp Johnson on my Bass Tracker, and it is rated for a 55hp. I have been looking at larger engines, but prices are out of my budget. Good luck with your search.
I know of a 35 Johnson that would be up for grabs if I could find another.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ejbommer said:
I have a Alumacraft MV 1648 NCS

I am currently using a 15 hp mercury and would like to be able to push it a little harder.

The boat is rated for 35 hp, but it seems like no one offer a 35 hp motor any more. They jump from 25 to 40. If I am going to upgrade, I see no reason not to max out.

Any opinion of what happens if I go to 40. Will I have issues with the DNR.
Many states nothing, except if you do insure it most companies will not insure an overrated boat. Some states are very picky about boats that are over their rating. I think Fla may be one of them.

I don’t know how old your boat is but something to keep in mind is weight. It’s quite a jump from a 35 hp 2 stroke to a 40. Especially if you go to 4 stroke. If you are ok with an older motor, I recommend a jonnyrude 35. I run one on a 16’ boat and love it. Or a tohatsu/Nissan M40C, lightest 40hp ever made. If you are thinking newer 4 stroke, go with a 30 or an etec 30. The newer motors are pretty badazz and you really can’t go wrong with any of them, just choose whichever dealer you like the best in your area. After that 15, a 30 will come out of the hole like jack the bear and will have 1 1/2 times the top speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those 35hp were really only about 30hp. I could possibly sell you an older 2 stroke tiller 20" depending on your location .

I have the same boat and always found the horsepower rating a bit goofy too. I run a four stroke Yamaha 25 and fully loaded w 2 guys i do about 24. When i had nothing in the hull but me a battery and a gas tank i once had it up to 30 playing w the trim pin.

Would i like a 40, hell yeah, but on a choppy day my 25 will still make you pucker up your cheeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varies from state to state, some pay almost absolutely no attention to ratings and won't hassle you at all. Some states go by the letter and will cite you in a skinny minute. I would say if you are involved in an accident you would be prone to scrutiny or if you plan on insuring it you better not be over rated.

Has anyone on this forum had trouble insuring an over horsepowered boat?
I always read that statement but don't know if there is actual real life experiences or just hear say.
I've been over rated(not now)by 5hp never had an issue with either insurance or DNR...but I'm in Canada.
Was always told there was a 5% rule but that's just hear say.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Zum said:
I always read that statement but don't know if there is actual real life experiences or just hear say.
I've been over rated(not now)by 5hp never had an issue with either insurance or DNR...but I'm in Canada.

I had one right after USAA went to Progressive for insuring boats. You give them the hull I.D. # and they pull up the specs for it just like a car. They gave me a bunch of crap on one of my boats that was rated for a 40 and their info said it was only rated for a 25. I finally took a pic of the sticker which had all the info including the I.D. # on it and they got off my butt.

Since then it appears they have adopted a policy of the craft is past a certain year you go by a "declared value" and that is what they insure it for. Or maybe if it is under a certain value that is what they did with one of my smaller/older ones.

To a person I doubt there is much to any difference between a 35 and 40 HP output. To an insurance company they will not honor a policy if one comes into play.

Zum said:

I think the trouble might start if you were involved in a claim.

RealOne said:
I just purchased an NCS yesterday and should have a new tohatsu 40 mounted Wednesday. We shall see!

Nice. Definitely update us with how fast that thing flies.

My company, State Farm, basically just asked me how much to cover. They asked what the boat was and all that but as for the value they made me tell them. But like any company I bet they would do anything in their power to reduce liability in a claim and if they found out the boat was overpowered I bet you'd be left to drip dry.

Yes, just because the policy is issued does not mean you are in the clear. Policies have conditions regarding misrepresentation, seaworthiness, etc that could come into play if there were a claim. Also, I know I'm repeating myself, but just a reminder that this goes beyond insuring for the loss of your boat. Boat owners would be wise to have coverage for 3rd party liability claims, which could potentially drain every asset someone owns in the event of a negligent bodily injury case.

OK, off my soapbox.

Alright I've broken the motor in. Top speed per my phones GPS app was 35 with the current probably about 3/4 to 7/8 throttle. Solid 1.5 hours running up and down stream at random throttle ranges to break out in hopefully correctly lol. All in all so far I'm incredibly happy. Plenty of low end power to get on plane and handles pretty **** well. More results to follow. It's at the fab shop now getting a deck extension, bow cap and rear deck lid!

RealOne said:
Got the motor mounted yesterday can't wait to get it wet
How low does the back sit in the water? 20" transom? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RealOne said:
Alright I've broken the motor in. Top speed per my phones GPS app was 35 with the current probably about 3/4 to 7/8 throttle. Solid 1.5 hours running up and down stream at random throttle ranges to break out in hopefully correctly lol. All in all so far I'm incredibly happy. Plenty of low end power to get on plane and handles pretty **** well. More results to follow. It's at the fab shop now getting a deck extension, bow cap and rear deck lid!

You should start a thread in the modifications forum to show your boat as you mod it and rig it out.

Latest posts