Need wise advise on purchase of new 25hp outboard w/tiller

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davey1965

Reaction score
Hi....Just got a 1754 Grizzly without a motor...Was thinking of a Suzuki 25 Hp tiller,tilt trim,Elec start....Any reason why I shouldn't get that...any wise advise would be appreciated....thanks

You’re going to get all sorts of replies with everyone’s favorites and reasons why. At the end of the day it’s going to be a “Ford vs Chevy” argument. My advice is to find a dealer that you like and that has a good reputation for service and isn’t hours away. Buy what he’s selling. For me that would be Tohatsu or Evinrude that’s what the reputable dealers near me carry. Also most 25 and 30’s are the same engine. Why not have the most power for the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a HUGE fan of finding a reputable dealer close to you, and buying a fully serviced clean used motor that is the max HP for your boat.

A 1754 Grizzly is a pretty big boat. A 25HP will plane you out, even with multiple guys and gear, but it will do it slowly and I'd guess give top speeds in the low teens.

I own a 1756 Lowe semi-V. I have a 50 hp 2 cycle Merc on it. It is rated for 60 hp tiller and 75 or so when set up with a console.

I'll bet it weighs less than your Grizzley. No way would I put a 25 hp on it.

It depends on how you'll fish... where you'll go... There is something to be said for a motor that you can put on and off the boat without blowing out your back every time..... A nice light tiller motor like that might be all you'll ever need. Not to mention the cost difference...

The most fun I have in a boat these days is in a little 12 ft boat with a 7.5hp on it.... But I do understand what others have said.... faster is good... sometimes....

150 lbs is a typical weight for a 25. That's well within the capabilities of most people. I don't like leaving the motor on the boat.... so bringing it in after a trip and then putting it back on is a necessary ritual...

Being able to do that is worth the sacrifice in top speed imo...

I don't think you will get a elec. start, power trim, tiller 25 at 150# realistically unless the new Yamaha's just slide under the wire.

https://onlineoutboards.com/suzuki-25-hp-outboards.html

That Suzuki was the first 25hp pull start with EFI. One pull to prime, second to start. Looks like Yamaha has gone for it too! At 126lbs, that's super light for a 25! I may need to get me one of these, haha.

So the 2015 model is exactly the same as the 2018, and that one was rated for 30hp max. I'm sure you'll be good to go with a 25hp.

2015 Tracker Boats Grizzly 1754 Jon Standard Features

Specs
Length: 17' 1"
Bottom width: 54"
Max. recommended HP: 30 HP
Dead-rise: 7 Degrees
Beam: 78"
Approx. weight: 670 Lbs.
Approx. package weight: 1289 Lbs.
Max. person capacity: 6 Persons
Hull material: 0.100 5052 Marine Alloy
Transom height: 21"
Max. weight capacity: 1300 Lbs.
Max. person weight: 799 Lbs.
Package height: 5' 4"
Fuel capacity (portable): 6 Gallons

I don't think those specs are right. A 2018 1754 Grizzly is max rated at 75HP according to the Tracker website. And that boat hasn't changed in a number of years. I see older ones running 40 and 60 hp motors all the time.

my tohatsu 25 didn't even come with clamps.it was a bolt through the transom,sold that way from the dealer.quick removal was not an option.i had a hell of a time mounting it by myself,and i'm 6 foot,240.there is no way i would trust twist clamps to secure an engine that big and heavy,especially going down forest service roads.

bcbouy said:
my tohatsu 25 didn't even come with clamps.it was a bolt through the transom,sold that way from the dealer.quick removal was not an option.i had a hell of a time mounting it by myself,and i'm 6 foot,240.there is no way i would trust twist clamps to secure an engine that big and heavy,especially going down forest service roads.
Yamaha doesn't either now.

Screw clamps have been used on bigger motors since the stone age... I wouldn't worry about that if you tighten them properly... The key to moving a motor that big is to have the right dolly set up and technique. Go straight from the boat to the dolly in one smooth move...

https://www.discountramps.com/outboard-motor-carts/p/OMC-Cart/

I do it myself with this 35.... and I'm 58 years old...

IMG_2147.JPG

His point is that they don't have clamps anymore on motors around 25 HP, it will kinda make it hard to take the motor on and off every time you use it installing bolts through the transom.

nccatfisher said:
bcbouy said:

My 2017 F25 does, as far as I know nothing's been changed...

20171111_162451_2.jpg

IMG_0430.JPG"]0[/ATTACH]
kdgrills said:
nccatfisher said:
bcbouy said:

My 2017 F25 does, as far as I know nothing's been changed...
Well here is mine with a service activation date of 5/05/17 show me the clamps

Latest posts