1998 yamaha 60 hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reelfunnm

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm looking at a 1998 yamaha 60 hp outboard. Its been on a pontoon boat and used about 4 to 6 times a summer. Any opinions on the engine. Things to be aware of.

3 cylinder 2 stroke? Excellent engines. There are some very clean specimens on Craigslist right now. Been looking at 50's for my flat bottom. Compression check and run it on muffs at minimum. Water tests of course being best.

Pull the top plug on the lower and run a zip tie inside to check for chocolate milk.

Make SURE that motor had a LOW pitch prop on it ... as if it didn't, I wouldn't buy the engine. Reasoning - a low pitch prop is needed to push a big load. If they kept a normal pitch prop on that OB, then I'd guess that the OB was seriously lugging ... and that really puts a tremendous load on the OB and its longevity. Less not adding oil, lugging or wrong prop use, is about the fastest way to kill a motor ...

On any decent skiff, I'd bet that OB would typically run a 15 to 17, if not to 17 to 19 inch pitched prop for speed use. Therefore I would expect to see a low, 'big eared' 11 to 13" pitch prop on that OB - maybe even a 4-blade prop - if truly configured to push along a big, heavy pontoon boat.

If not ... I myself wouldn't chance it ...

Well said. And I'll add that pontoon motors just sit in the water a lot, and they consistently have corrosion issues inside the leg, foot, and powerhead. Similar to saltwater.

If it's cheap enough, grab onto it. But if it's just average, nah...keep looking. If you're planning on using it on a pontoon, I'd seriously put effort into finding a 4 stroke.

Good info on the wheel used. Can't assume anything when buying a boat engine.

Latest posts