While looking for an Evinrude part on Ebay....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iflyfish

Reaction score
I keep seeing many listings for these and other similar outboards from various sellers. Not that I would consider buying one because I'm not, just curious if anyone has experience with them. Personally, having no knowledge about them as far as quality and availability of parts, I'd be hesitant to buy. Thoughts?

outboard.jpg

My experience with Chinese products is that the materials (particularly rubber) are barely adequate even when new. As soon as weathering & fatigue happen, it's toast. Good luck finding parts.

Used name brand motors like that turn up on craigslist for similar prices.

https://columbia.craigslist.org/bpo/d/west-columbia-tohatsu-6-hp-4-stroke/6794033888.html

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/bpo/d/benson-mercury-outboard/6788672394.html

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/bpo/d/fuquay-varina-mercury-35-hp-4-stroke/6792756785.html

CedarRiverScooter said:
My experience with Chinese products is that the materials (particularly rubber) are barely adequate even when new. As soon as weathering & fatigue happen, it's toast. Good luck finding parts.
X2

Looks like a Tohatsu clone like Parsun motors which are copies of Yamaha with parts being compatible.How can Chinese carbed 2-strokes be imported while Japanese motors cannot?

They cheap out on metal quality and rubber products. I worked on a Chinese ATV once and found the aluminum in the carb to be very soft so it's easy to strip threads .. and the fuel line was vacuum hose so it deteriorated quickly.
Nuts and bolts are grade fu€k all so they rattle loose constantly

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

i had a chinese electric trolling motor that lasted longer than 3 minnkotas combined.bought a new one for the new boat.55 lb. thrust with a lithium ion rechargeable hand held wireless remote for $550.they've been selling their stuff all over the southern hemisphere for years and years.i'm not pro chinese stuff but it's nice to have an alternative to a $1000 electric trolling motor.and i would bet the parts in those things all come from the same industrial area.there's a difference between assembled in north america and made in north america.

I tend to think of most Chinese products as one time use, at best. If you can get it to last longer good on you. I prefer American made, to the point of preferring US (well) used over new Chinese. Buy once cry once, as they say.

Way back when, even before the imported cars and motorbikes, Japanese products were pretty much thought of as junk, and I think a lot of it was. Then they got their act together. Now for many Japanese products are thought to set the standard for quality. With their manufacturing power, just think what could happen if China gets its act together.

Latest posts