1996 Johnson lower unit pinion nut rounded off.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reelfunnm

Reaction score
I have a 115 hp Johnson that the reverse gear gave out on. After taking it apart most of the way. I can not get the pinion nut off the drive shaft. The fragments of the gear tumbling around have buggered up the nut. I can not get a wrench on or a hold off it in any way. Any suggestions.The engine is 1996 j115tleda. Thanks John

It's about 10 inches up inside the bullet with the throwout bearing and the propeller shaft in the way. It would be beyond my welding ability

Attachments

• 20190509_192927.jpg
    20190509_192927.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,120
Sorry it's the only thing I can think of. I'd be sliding a piece of cardboard tube or PVC over that shaft, assuming it's still good. Hold the nut against the rounded off one and tack it with stick. Rotate the gear to get weld on all sides, at least 3 good sides. The heat and cooling cycle will help loosen the nut and it should come off.
Take it to a welding/machine shop. Hopefully they can help you out.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

OMC made a special tool for that and from the looks of it that would still work.
Usually a standard wrench will not. Easiest thing may be for you to take it to a dealer that has the pinion nut tool and have them loosen it for you and re-torque when you are ready

I took it to a dealer with the tool and it wouldn't go on. It's like the nut and the end of the shaft are peened over from the broken pieces banging around in there. Then took it to a machine shop. That guy told me with the cost of Labor and no guarantee of not mucking anything else up in there. That it wouldn't be cost-effective and I should spend my money on a new or used one. What do you think about an extended drill bit and trying to drill a hole in the nut. could that break it free

What I can tell you is that,in general, the V4 lower units were pretty bulletproof. Very few experienced your issues. With a proper shift adjustment, good sealing, and routine gear oil changes they lived for decades.
I would agree that the cost of repairing this one will far exceed the cost of a used LU. I would go with used in a heartbeat and not worry about this one.

Thanks guys for all the advice. I did get the nut off. I used an extended 1/4 in colbat drill bit. With slow go method I drilled a hole in opposite sides of the nut. Then a with very long screw driver and hammer, gave it a good whack. The nut broke off and the shaft came out. I agree these thing are bullet proof. I had just replaced the cables and let my son use the boat. He said there was some grinding when he shifted into reverse but nothing major. I made some adjustment the next weekend but I could here some rattling noise from the gear case. I'm thinking is his downplay of the grinding may have led to the problem. I have a new/used one on order but may end up rebuilding this one when time and money allow. Again thanks. John

Latest posts