Tohatsu Initials

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrl5678

Reaction score
I am breaking all the rules and building a small skiff out of wood, I hope no one here sets me on fire and burns me down.

I am looking at outboards and think Tohatsu 20HP is the way to go.

All the Tohatsu OB have a string of letters and numbers after them. Does anyone know how to interoperate those Letters? MFS20EEPTL vs MFS20EEPTS

Is a 20" transom that much better than a 15"

Thanks

Unless weight is a consideration, I'd opine that a higher gunnel height is always best, so I'd go with a 20" transom! But now YOU may have design constraints or limitations to deal with, as maybe your plans call for the lower height.

Tohatsu doesn't seem to publish a cross-reference lists like other OB makers so, try this: https://www.tohatsu.com/contact/wiz_modelyear.html

Ok, I’ll give this a shot. I just purchased a 20 hp Tohatsu from online outboards and am very pleased with the motor. The 2019 code on my motor is somewhat different from the code you have posted. But here is what I think the letters and numbers mean. The last letter in the string, L or S is the shaft length. Then working back the next two letters would indicate power tilt, then the double E’s are for electric start. Just one E for manual start. This is the 2019 code I’m getting for a electric start, power trim, long shaft MFS20EEFTL. Here is the code for a manual start and tilt short shaft MFS20ES. Notice one E has been dropped and the tilt letters are missing altogether.

I replaced a 25 hp two stroke Mercury with the 20 hp Tohatsu. What I gained: fuel economy almost double. Noise level reduced. Hole shot about the same, if anything, the Tohatsu is faster off the line. Weight, the four stroke 20 is acutely slightly lighter than the 25. Midrange power increased (this was a surprise) I did loose top-end acceleration and speed. The Mercury topped out at 27 and the Tohatsu 20 hit 24. (It comes with a 10 pitch prop and is at the top of its rpm range at 24 mph, so it may go a little faster with an 11 or 12?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you both,

The transom is currently 22" so it has to be cut down and was leaning towards the higher gunnels over all. Might be safer might just feel safer....

Thank you for the pretty good guess about the initials. I was in that neighborhood, was wondering if they published a cross index.

I picked the 20HP motor because it is the same motor as the 9.9... It is one of the lightest motors in that general HP rating. It is nice to hear that someone is running it.
ktoelke54 What are you running the motor on?

From the clamp to the cavitation plate on a 20 hp long shaft is 22.5 inches. I would give it a try on your transom before cutting, it may be just right

I am running the 20 hp Tohatsu on a 14 67 Lowe V Hull. I load it pretty heavy, two big guys, trolling motor and battery, 6 gal fuel, etc.

35df3f5f839ce65ab3cf5ae344ad0844.jpg

This is Online Outboards Tohatsu guide to shaft length and transom height.

Latest posts